ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
Speak on the geographical location of the USA.
Say some words about the climate of the country.
Name the natural and mineral resources.
3.6. Say what is true and what is false. Specify your answer using the text:
1. The USA is the largest country in Europe.
2. The population of the USA is 350 million.
3. The USA is situated in the central part of the North American
4. The capital of the USA is New York.
5. The British Museum is in Washington.
6. The USA was founded in 1776.
7. George Washington was the second president of the United States.
8. The total area of the country is 9.5 million square kilometers.
9. The highest mountains are the Alps and the Urals.
10. The USA is a federal republic, consisting of forty states.
Make up the plan of the text.
3.8. Translate into English. Determine the tenses and the voices of the verbs:
1. He left for Moscow. 2. The news will be of great interest. 3. They were speaking to him. 4. She studied many subjects. 5. He was much
3.9. Form Participle II out of the following words and choose
e.g. to break – broken: a broken cup, a broken glass, a broken chair, etc.
To receive, to write, to lock, to discuss, to publish, to hide, to build, to lose, to choose, to open, to close, to invite, to want, to bring, to stop, to return, to finish, to repeat, to steal, to kill, to marry, to leave, to need, to hurt, to bring, to forget, to translate.
A letter, a package, a question, a message, a certificate, a job, a newspaper, a document, a driving license, a magazine, a door, a window,
3.10. Read, translate and analyze the sentences paying attention to the Participles Constructions:
A. 1. The room being dark, we couldn’t see anything.
2. The book being translated into many languages, everybody will be able to read it.
3. Peter having passed his exams, we decided to have a rest in the country.
4. The fuel exhausted, the engine stopped.
5. The composition having been written, he gave it to the teacher and left the room.
6. They having arrived at the station early, all of us went to the cafe.
7. My friends decided to go to the river, the weather being warm and sunny.
8. Our library buying all the new books, we needn't buy them
9. The new machine-tools were delivered to the factory, all of them
10. Many scientists preceded Newton in the field of mechanics, the most outstanding being Galileo.
B. 1. Numerous experiments having been carried out at the orbital stations, it became possible to develop new methods of industrial production of new materials.
2. The population increasing, housing construction should be paid much attention to.
3. The temperature rising, the speed of molecules also rises.
4. A beam of light being transmitted forwards, it is possible to measure the distance between the car and the other cars in front of it.
5. The distance having been measured, the computer adjusts the car's speed.
6. The pressure removed, the body returns to its original volume.
7. The young physicist having discovered Newton's error, other scientists confirmed it.
8. The first TV sets having been shown in New York, the news about it spread throughout the world.
С. 1. With the first steam engine built in the 17-th century, people began to use them in factories.
2. The inventor was demonstrating his new device, with the workers watching its operation attentively.
3. The children were eating the desert, with their noses being in cream.
4. With the current being switched on, the machine automatically starts operating.
5. After the «wild» party he lay on the sofa, with his head aching.
3.11. Translate into English:
1. Читая книгу, он обычно делает заметки (make notes).
2. Прочитав текст, мы обсудим его.
3. Отвечая на вопросы, он сделал несколько ошибок.
4. Ответив на вопросы преподавателя, мы начали переводить новый текст.
5. Являясь хорошим проводником электричества, медь широко
6. Увидев зеленый свет, мы перешли (cross) улицу.
7. Покупая газету, он потерял деньги.
8. Купив газету, он пошел к метро.
IV. Brush up your talk
4.1. Read a well-known English idiom and say:
To carry coals to Newcastle.
What does this idiom mean? Try to find its Russian equivalent.
4.2. Give the opposite to the following:
1. The first President of the USA was Abraham Lincoln. 2. The USA is made up of 48 states. 3. The USA is poor in natural and mineral
4.3. Pair work:
Your task will be to make up dialogues about some interesting facts and places of interest in English speaking countries. Act them.
Read and dramatize the dialogue with your partner. Learn the dialogue by heart.
- Have you ever travelled abroad?
- No, I haven't. I hope when I am at the university, I`ll earn some money for a trip at least to Denmark. It'll help me improve my English, because there I`ll speak mostly English.
- Why do people travel? What do you think about it?
- To my mind, there are many reasons for travelling. There are
- Do you prefer travelling in a group to traveling alone?
- As for me, I prefer to travel in a group, because when you travel in
- What English speaking countries would you like to visit?
- I’d like to visit Great Britain and the USA, of course. I have seen many sights in the pictures but I think that in the flesh they will be even more appealing. I’d take my camera with me to take photographs. I think souvenirs are good things but photos stay with you and you can prove everybody that you have been there. Photos also help you remember all the moments of an exciting trip.
- What other countries would you like to visit?
- France, because of its beautiful scenery and wonderful museums.
4.5. Read and dramatize the dialogues with your partners. Make up your own dialogues on these models:
1. At Customs
Customs Inspector: Where are you from?
Ann: I am from Russia.
C. I.: Are you travelling alone?
A.: Yes, I am.
C. I.: What is the purpose of your visit?
A.: I want to see the USA and learn American English.
C. I.: Where are you going to stay?
A.: In Atlanta with an American family.
C. I.: Do you have anything to declare?
A.: No, I don`t.
C. I.: Open your luggage, please.
A.: Here you are.
C. I.: Have a good time in the United States of America!
A.: Thank you.
2. Places of interest of New York
- Is it possible to see all the places of interest of New York in one or two days?
- Of course not. This capital is one of the most magnificent cities in the world.
- Can you tell me what are the most interesting places to visit?
- Most willingly. You`d better to start with the Statue of Liberty.
- How can I get there?
- I advise you to join a group of tourists making a sightseeing tour.
- It`s a good idea!
Name three places in English speaking countries you would like to live in and write three reasons that make you want to live there.
5.1. Use the following phrases and word combinations to retell the most interesting information from the text:
1. As I understood from the text ...
2. According to the text ...
3. According to the author ...
4. As it is described in the text ...
5. As it is said in the text ...
6. As the author puts it ...
7. According to the figures (data, information, opinions) from the
5.2. Discuss the following statements. Use the following phrases to express your opinion:
1. It seems to me (that) ...
2. I would like to say that ...
3. As I see it ...
4. I think that ...
5. I guess ...
6. I suppose ...
7. I (strongly) believe that ...
8. I am (absolutely) sure that ...
Statement A: Prove that the United States is a land of rivers and lakes.
Statement B: Is the USA an interesting country to come to know?
Statement C: The USA became the world leading country. Why?
5.3. Speak about the USA using all information you have got.
5.4*. Role-play the following situation:
1. A professor asks his student why he prefers the USA to the UK
2. American and Russian students exchange opinions about their countries.
3. Imagine you are talking to a British or American friend over the Internet. What questions about his or her country and people`s lifestyles would you ask?
4. At a tourist agency you ask advice and recommendations about vi-siting the places of interest in Washington.
5.5*. Make projects. Use tips given in the appendix 1:
1. The nature of the USA.
2. Washington is the capital of the USA.
3. The biggest cities of the USA. What are they famous for?
4. The state structure of the USA.
5. The presidents of the country.
6. The USA is a highly developed industrial and agricultural country.
7. American traditions and customs.
8. American holidays.
9. The places of interest in New York.
10. The places of interest in the USA.
5.6*. Describe some other country. The following plan will help you:
1. Geographical position.
7. Political system.
8. Places of interest.
5.7*. Fill in the table about the UK and the USA:
5.8*. Fill in the table about English speaking countries:
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-06-23; Нарушение авторского права страницы
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 184.108.40.206 (0.017 с.)