Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
УРОК ОДДИНАДЦАТЫЙ (LESSON ELEVENTH)
Before taking up the text read these words and word combinations:
a) 'various, 'fair, 'popular, a'chievement, 'science, 'industry, 'agriculture, pro'mote, /intro'duce, interpreter, suc'cess, efficient, 'advertise, in 'detail b) the Russian Chamber of Commerce, they were interested, were on dis-
play, over a thousand firms, do a lot to establish, to promote trade, helped to
dvertise, as they were interested, was the main participant, to advertise
Russia stands for the development of trade with all countries therefore the Russian Chamber of Commerce arranges various fairs and exhibitions both in our country and abroad. Our fairs and exhibitions are very popular with the people abroad and each of them is called an "eye-opener".* They show our great achievements in science, industry, agriculture and other fields of our national economy. Foreign visitors are interested both in the exhibits and the Russian way of life in general. These fairs and exhibitions do a lot to establish contacts and to promote trade, and trade, as we know,1 promotes peace.
In September, 19... one of the biggest international exhibitions of chemical machinery and equipment was held in Moscow. Many foreign firms took part in it as they were interested in introducing their goods to new markets. Russia was the main participant. Over 7,000 exhibits could be seen on display in the Russian pavilions. They showed the progress that Russian chemical industry and science had made for the last few years.
The efficient staff of stand-attendants, guides and interpreters did their best to make the exhibition a success. Colourful leaflets helped to advertise
* the exhibition is an eye-opener — выставка открывает глаза
the goods. The exhibition was crowded with visitors from opening to closing time. It was visited by a lot of foreign businessmen as weD. The entries in the visitors' books show that the visitors were greatly impressed by the exhibition. As a result new business contacts were established and a lot of contracts were signed.
1. as we know — как (нам) известно Kiev, as we know, is one of the most beautiful cities in the Ukraine.
All firms and companies are interested in introducing their goods to new markets. New words are introduced into English every year.
VOCABULARY AND GRAMMAR EXERCISES
I. Say from what verbs these nouns are:
development, achievement, advertisement, establishment, exhibition, instruction, collection, impression, visitor, inspector, interpreter, exporter.
П. What are the English equivalents for (see the text):
1. Как в нашей стране, так и за границей. 2. Раньше наши выставки пользовались большим успехом у публики. 3. Они были заинтересованы в том, чтобы внедрить свои товары на новые рынки. 4. В немецком павильоне было выставлено свыше семи тысяч экспонатов. 5. Более тысячи фирм принимает участие в выставке. 6. Все экспонаты продаются. 7. Выставка произвела огромное впечатление на посетителей. 8. Скажем, в 11 часов утра.
Ш. Paraphrase or explain (see the text): a) paraphrase the words and word combinations given in bold type:
1. Russia stands for the development of trade. 2. Foreign
exhibitions do a lot to promote trade. 4. One of the biggest international exhibitions was held in Moscow. 5. Over 7,000 exhibits could be seen on display. 6. They showed the progress that our chemical industry and science had made for the last few years. 7. The exhibition was crowded with visitors from opening to closing time. 8. It was visited by a lot of businessmen as well. 9. You've just started producing it, haven't you? 10. All the exhibits that are on display in our pavilion are for sale. 11. That suits me all right.
b) explain the meaning of the words and word combinations given in bold type:
1. Our fairs and exhibitions are very popular with the people abroad and each of them is called an "eye-opener". 2. Foreign firms were interested in introducing their goods to new markets. 3. The efficient staff of stand-attendants, guides and interpreters did their best to make the exhibition a success. 4. The entries in the visitors' books show that the visitors were very much impressed by the exhibition. 5. We are doing good business in chemical goods now.
IV. Insert one of these word combinations to be a success or to make progress in the correct
1. The boy ... in English for the last six months. Now he can read English books. 2.1 have seen a new film lately. I don't think it ... . It's not interesting. 3. Ulanova ... in all the performances. 4. Our science ... for the last few years. 5. "If you work much at your English you will easily said the teacher. 6. When the Bolshoi Theatre was abroad it ....
V. Use the conjunction both ... and in these sentences:
Model: 1. Peter and John like skating. Both Peter and John like skating. 2. He was interested in English and French. He was interested both in English and French.
1. International fairs and exhibitions are held in our country and abroad. 2. The stand-attendants and guides did a lot to advertise the new achievements of our science and industry. 3*Visitors to the exhibition were interested in the exhibits and the life of our people in general. 4. Peter and
Ann were very much impressed by the new performance. 5. The firm sent letters to the Chamber of Commerce and Industry and the Ministry for Foreign Trade.
VI. Make-up sentences according to the given models:
1. Both my son and my daughter have made great progress in then-studies. 2. He was interested both in Model BC-75 and Model BC-73.
VII. Answer these questions:
1. There are flights to London daily, aren't there? 2. You are not going shopping, are you? 3. These shoes are for summer wear, aren't they? 4. There isn't always accommodation, available at hotels, is there? 6. He has tried on the shoes, hasn't he? 7. You will be sent on business one of these days, won't you? 8. New York is one of the main industrial cities in the U.S.A., isn't it?
VIII. Add tail-questions to the sentences and answer them:
1. The students have made good progress in their English for the last
IX. Filljin prepositions or adverbs:
1. Are you going to take part... the talks which are to be held the day after tomorrow? 2. We shall discuss all these points after they see the equipment ... operation. 3. We stand ... cooperation (сотрудничество) ... all countries. 4. In 1957 the Russian word "sputnik" was introduced ... many languages. 5. The museum was crowded ... visitors, therefore it was rather difficult to come up ... some of the exhibits that were ... display. 6. Marshak’s books are very popular ... children, aren't they? 7. The professor said, "Petrov's work made a very good impression ... me, I'd like you to read it too." 8. Have you read ... our latest achievements ... the field ... biology? 9. I wonder if the shoes which are exhibited ... the shop window arey... sale. 10. When are you going to discuss the new plan ... detail? 11. Let's go for a walk ... the fields. 12. The Leipzig Fair which is held . Leipzig twice a year, ... autumn and ... spring is very popular ... businessmen ... different countries. They come ... the fair as they are interested . . introducing their goods ... new markets.
Russia always takes part ... the fair. Our country is interested ... doing business ... as many countries as possible.
X. Say in what situations these words and word'combinations are used in the text:
therefore, be popular with, agriculture, our way of life, as we
know, on display, to make the exhibition a success, as well, to make progress, exhibits, in operation, the matter, in detail, say 11 o'clock.
XI.^Paraphrase these sentences using the active vocabulary:
1. What do you think of the pictures that are shown in the Manezh Exhi
dents asked Boris Stepanov, a Russian student, a lot of questions, as they wanted to know how Russian people lived. 10. In summer there are a lot of people in the trains as a lot of Moscovites live in the country. 11. "I'm sorry, I've forgotten to bring the book." — "Oh, it's nothing.”
XII. Translate these sentences into[Englisfa paying attention to the words and word combinations given ii bold type:
1. Россия стоит за развитие торговли со всеми стра
для того, чтобы помочь Индии развить свою национальную промышленность. 3. Я хотел бы, чтобы вы подробно рассказали мне об основных вопросах, которые обсуждались на конференции (conference). 4. Несколько дней назад в Москве начались торговые переговоры между компанией «Русэкспорт» и представителями фирмы «Домби и'Ко». Они продлятся (будут проходить) несколько дней. Обе стороны (parties) заинтересованы в установлении деловых отношений и делают все возможное, чтобы переговоры прошли успешно. Стороны надеются достичь хороших результатов. Они считают, что будет подписан контракт, выгодный (profitable) для обеих сторон. 5. Кремль всегда производит большое впечатление на иностранцев, не так ли? 6. Были ли выставлены ваши новые модели на Лейпцигской ярмарке этой весной? 7. Иванов — один из наиболее энергичных и опытных инженеров объединения, поэтому он часто принимает участие в переговорах.
ХП. Make up sentences using the given words and word combinations. Use the Passive Voice where it is possible.
to advertise, industrial, agriculture, national economy, to exhibit, therefore, to makesmth. a success, in detail, as we know, in general, as well efficient, international, main.
· Retell the text.
· Reproduce the dialogue: a) as it is, b) in indirect speech.
XV. Answer these questions and sum up the answers:
· Have you ever worked at an exhibition abroad? When and where was it held? You were a stand-attendant, weren't you? What exhibits were on display in the show-room? You had a lot of leaflets to advertise your goods, didn't you?
· You are going to have business talks to-day, aren't you? What problems are to be discussed? What's the main problem? Will it take you long to settle it?
· When were you at the theatre last? What was on? Were you impressed by the performance? Which of the]actors made a great impression on you?
XVI. Which phrases out of those given at the end of the exercise you would use in answer
1. Could you tell me what accommodation you would like to have? 2. When is the train for Liverpool due? 3. Could I speak to Mr. Brown, please? 4. When is breakfast served here? 5. Will Friday in the afternoon suit you? 6. Could I have an extra blanket? 7. What's the charge? 8. I'm sorry, I haven't told him about the meeting. Could you do it? 9. How do you like the room?
(It doesn't matter, I'll tell him myself. It suits me all right. I'm sorry, I have an appointment. He isn't available at the moment. I'll attend to it, sir. From seven-thirty to ten. At eight-fifteen in the morning. Three pounds a nhzhi:. A double room with a private bath.)
XVII. Give extensive answers to these questions:
1. What is Russia doing to establish contacts with other countries? 2. Are foreign firms interested in exhibitions which are held in Russia ? Why ? 3. Why are our exhibitions so popular abroad ? 4. Why do a lot of firms take part in international fairs and exhibitions? 5. Are all firms interested in introducing their goods to new markets? Why? 6. Why is it necessary to advertise goods? 7. What information can you get from advertisements? 8. What do our trade organizations do to advertise their goods? 9. Why is it necessary to have an efficient staff of stand-attendants, guides and interpreters at exhibitions? 10. What can you tell us about the Leipzig Fair? 11. In what way does foreign trade help our country develop the national economy?
XVIII. Read and reproduce the dialogue: a) as it is, b) in indirect speech.
MAKING AN APPOINTMENT
Telephone Operator: 249 1305.
Stepanov: 7A9 1305? May I have Extension 265, please?
Operator: Engaged. Will you hold on?
Stepanov: Well, yes, if it doesn't take too long.
Operator: Are you there? I'm putting you through now.
Stepanov: Thank you.
Secretary: Extension 265.
Stepanov: May I speak to Mr. Brown, please?
Secretary: I'm afraid Mr. Brown is away at present. This is his secretary speaking. Can I help you?
Stepanov: Yes, please. My name is Stepanov. I should like to make an appointment to see Mr. Brown. I believe Mr. Jones wrote to Mr. Brown about me.
Secretary: Oh, yes, Mr. Stepanov, that's right. Mr. Brown wants to meet you very much. When would you like to come?
Stepanov: Well, as soon as possible. When is Mr. Brown coming back? I'm going to Leeds at the beginning of next month, and I should like to see him before I go.
Secretary: Oh, he's away only for a few days. He is coming back on Monday. I'll just get his diary. Can you come next Tuesday, September 22nd?
Stepanov: In the morning or in the afternoon?
Secretary: The afternoon, about half past three.
Stepanov: Yes, half past three suits me very well. Thank you very much. Good-bye.
(it is) engaged — занято; extension 265 — добавочный 265; he is away—его нет в Лондоне; diary — записная книжка-календарь; at the beginning of next month —'в начале следующего месяца
XIX. Read and retell the story. Answer the questions given below:
Once the English poet Samuel Coleridge was walking along a village street. The postman was delivering letters at that time. When the postman came up to the door of a small house a young girl came out. "Here is a letter for you. I believe it's from your brother," said the postman. The girl took the letter and looked unhappy. Coleridge came up to them and asked: "What's the matter?" "I've got no money," said the girl and returned the letter to the postman. Coleridge felt sorry for the girl. He paid the postage and gave the letter to her.
When the postman had gone the girl thanked Coleridge but told him she was sorry he had paid the postage because there was nothing written in the letter. She told Coleridge that her brother had gone to work in London. Before he left, they had agreed that as they had no money to pay for the postage, he would send an envelope with nothing in it. She was to return the envelope to the postman. If the envelope arrived regularly, she would know that her brother was all right.
Coleridge was greatly impressed by the story. He told it to his friend who worked in the Post Office. His friend thought it would help many people if the charge for postage could be reduced. He thought it would be good to introduce stamps. A few years later the government agreed to his idea.
Samuel Coleridge —С. Колридж, английский поэт (1772—1834); poet— поэт; postman—почтальон; postage емкость почтового отправления; to feel sorry for smb.— жалеть кого-л., to agree — договориться; to agree to smth. — согласиться на что-л.; envelope — конверт
1. What was Samuel Coleridge ? Z Why did Coleridge decide to help the girl? 3. Why did the girl say she was sorry Coleridge had paid the postage?
· Who was to pay the postage in those days: the receiver or the sender?
· What did Coleridge advise his friend to do?
XX. Make up short stories or dialogues using these words and word combinations:
1. The exhibition I worked at
to be held, international, to be on display, to impress, guide, stand-attendant, to make the exhibition a success, to be a success
2. An invitation to visit an exhibition
to invite, to be arranged, the Chamber of Commerce, to be crowded, agriculture, to make progress, field, to be popular, therefore
3. Exhibition is an "eye-opener"
to be held, to exhibit, achievement, development, to produce, the way of life, to be impressed, in general, as well, to stand for
XXI. Make up dialogues based on these assignments:
· At the exhibition of British agricultural machinery you (a representative of Sojuzimport) got interested in a new model of tractor which was on display in the British pavilion. You saw the machine in operation and decided that itjwould meet the requirements of your clients. Contact the firm and ask them to make you an offer. Discuss the problem of a discount.
· Not long ago your friend worked at an exhibition which was held in a foreign country. Ask him about his work there and about the business contacts which were established there.
· One of your friends has been on business to London and has just come back. He signed a contract there. Ask him questions about his stay in London and the business talks he had there.
XXII. Speak on the topics:
I. A visit to a foreign exhibition in Moscow. 2. A Russian exhibition abroad.
IV. Translate these sentences into English:
1. Новая модель легковых автомобилей, выпускаемая Горьковским заводом, пользуется большим спросом на рынке. 2. Предложенные фирмой образцы не отвечают нашим требованиям. 3. Цена на оборудование, названная вашими конкурентами, примерно на 5% ниже вашей цены. 4. Мы обещали фирме досрочно отгрузить заказанное ими оборудование. 5. Скажите Петрову, чтобы он внимательно изучил документы, приложенные к этому письму. 6. Условия поставки, предложенные Вами в Вашем письме от 5 мая, неприемлемы для нас. 7. Фирма сообщает, что поставки, запланированные ими на май месяц, начнутся с опозданием.
V. Make up sentences using the ghco tables:
1. He is visiting London next week.
We a friend of mine one of these days.
the Tretyakov Picture tomorrow.
Gallery next Tuesday,
2. What is a friend of yours doing tomorrow?
are his children on Sunday?
your sister's husband tonight?
his friends the day after tomor-
VI. Translate these sentences into English using the Present Continuous Tense:
1. «Где вы встречаетесь с ним?» — «Около метро «Таганская» в семь часов вечера». 2. Мы собираемся навестить своих ленинградских друзей на следующей неделе. 3. Я слышал, что эксперты заканчивают работу в следующий четверг. 4. Вы знаете, что Анна танцует в «Жизели» завтра вечером? 5. У них будет собрание сегодня вечером. (Они проводят...). 6. Петр уезжает в Иркутск через несколько дней. 7. Они приглашают еще пять человек. 8. «Он работает в субботу?» — «Да. У него выходной день в воскресенье и понедельник». 9. Их поезд прибывает в девять часов вечера. 10. У вас завтра будет урок французского языка? 11. «Когда вы посылаете им ответ?» — «Я думаю через день — два».
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 188.8.131.52 (0.013 с.)