Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
ДЕВЯТЫЙ УРОК (THE ELEVENTH LESSON)
Grammar: 1. Степени сравнения прилагательных (см. § 64, стр. 338).
· Степени сравнения наречий (см. § 65, стр. 340).
· Вопросительно-отрицательные предложения (см. § 66, стр. 341).
Revision: 1. Безличные предложения. 2. Предпрошедшее время (Past Perfect).
TRAVELLING BY RAILWAY
Mr. Kozlov had an invitation from one of the biggest British firms to visit an exhibition of chemical equipment in Edinburgh.
As Mr. Lipman had promised to send the quotation only in two or
So on Wednesday morning Kozlov got up earlier than usual as he had to catch an early morning train to Edinburgh. He packed his suit-case and was about to go to the restaurant when the telephone rang. The secretary of Russian Trade Delegation was phoning Kozlov to tell him that he could get accommodation on the 9 o'clock express to Edinburgh at the booking-office of Liverpool Street Station.1
AT THE BOOKING-OFFICE
Kozlov: Good morning. I want a first-class ticket on the 9 o'clock? train to
Edinburgh. Clerk: Would you like a single or a return ticket? Kozlov: Return, please. I think it's more convenient. Clerk; Certainly, it is.2
Kozlov: Shall I have to change?
Clerk: No, you needn't. It's a through train.
Kozlov: What's the fare?
Clerk: 12 pounds and 10 shillings, please.
Kozlov: Would you mind telling me when the express is due in Edinburgh?3
Clerk: Just a minute. I'll check that for you. You are due at 5.30 p.m.
Kozlov: Oh, are we? I thought it would take me more time to get there.
Clerk: This train is the most convenient. It goes faster than any other
train. Kozlov: Thank you.
ON THE PLATFORM
Kozlov: Porter, will you see to my luggage, please?4
Porter: Yes, sir. Where are you going to?
Kozlov: I'm going by the 9 o'clock express to Edinburgh.
Porter: Is this your suit-case ?
Kozlov: Yes, it is. It can go to my compartment.
Porter: Very well, sir. Which class?
Porter: This way, please.5
(Kozlov looks at the train at platform 2.)
Kozlov: Isn't this my train ?
Porter: No, sir. Your train is at platform 5. We'll have to hurry or you'll
miss the train. It's leaving in 5 minutes. Kozlov: Oh, is it? Porter: Now, sir. Here is your carriage.6
(They get into the compartment and the porter puts the suit-case on the luggage-rack.) Kozlov: Thank you, porter. Here you are. (He gives a tip to the porter). Porter: Thank you, sir: A pleasant journey to you.7
· Liverpool Street Station —название вокзала, который находится на Ливерпульской улице в Лондоне.
· "I think it's more convenient." — Я думаю, что это удобнее. "Certainly, it is." — Да, конечно.
В английском языке для выражения подтверждения высказанной собеседником мысли употребляются слова certainly» of course или yes и подлежащее, выраженное соответствующим личным местоимением со вспомогательным глаголом или с глаголом-связкой.
"I believe Comrade N. knows English." "Yes, he does."
· Would you mind telling me when the express is due in Edinburgh ? — Скажите, пожалуйста, когда экспресс прибывает в Эдинбург? "Would you mind ..." — вежливая форма просьбы. После этого выражения всегда употребляется герундий.
· Porter, will you see to my luggage, please? — Носильщик, займитесь моим багажом, пожалуйста.
· This way, please. — Сюда, пожалуйста.
· Here is your carnage. — Вот и ваш вагон.
Если в этом обороте подлежащее выражено существительным, то употребляется инверсия — обратный порядок слов, а если подлежащее выражено местоимением, то употребляется прямой порядок слов. Here he is. — Вот и он.
7. A pleasant journey to you. — Счастливого вам пути.
После существительного opportunity употребляется предлог of с герундием или инфинитив.
С названиями станций метро и вокзалов артикль не употребляется.
Степени сравнения прилагательных и наречий
I. Прочитайте и переведите следующие предложения:
1. Our new flat is larger than the old one. 2. August is the hottest month in the Caucasus. 3. In London the weather is more changeable than in Moscow. 4. 12 o'clock is the most convenient time for our talks. 5. We can't sign the contract as the terms are the least acceptable to us. 6. Put more milk but less sugar in my coffee. 7. I don't think we'll buy Model 20 as it is worse than Model 21. 8. Which is the best model of television-sets?, 9. I don't think autumn is the worst season of the year.
1. To-morrow I'll have to get up earlier than to-day. 2. In Petersburg it rains more often (oftener) than in Moscow. 3. It's raining more heavily now than yesterday. 4. I ski worse than my brother does. 5. Ann plays the piano better than I do. 6. I'll swim less to-day as I feel worse than usual. 7.1 have less, work now and I'll be able to study more. 8. What do you like doing best of all? 9. Which of you skated least of all last winter?
II. Образуйте степени сравнения от следующих прилагательных и наречий:
nice, early, small, long, young, few, large, fine, happy, short, much, dark, new, bad, cold, interesting, late, warm, acceptable, light, heavy, good, necessary, high, old, modern, changeable, damp, beautiful, important, many, hot, convenient, little, frosty, wonderful.
early, often, soon, late, well, wonderfully, badly, happily, little, much, heavily.
HI. Сравните следующее:
1. My sister, my brother (young). 2. To-day, yesterday (cold). 3. The film, the performance (interesting). 4. Two o'clock, ten o'clock (convenient). 5. Winter, spring (warm). 6. My suit-case, your suit-case (heavy). 7. Our new flat, our old flat (small). 8. We have received letters, they have received letters (few).
1. He speaks French, I speak French (badly). 2. We work, they work (little). 3. My friend arrived at the airport. We arrived at the airport (early).
· I'll go through the letters, the secretary will go through the letters (soon).
· I liked the performance. My wife liked the performance (much). 6. We go to the theatre. My friends go to the theatre (often).
IV. Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. Is Moscow larger than Petersburg ? 2. Do more or fewer people live in Moscow than in Petersburg ? 3. What is the largest city in Russia ? 4. What is the coldest month in Moscow? 5. Is the Caucasus more
or less beautiful than the Crimea? 6. What is the most beautiful place in Russia ? 7. Is the Rossia Hotel more comfortable than the Metropol Hotel? 8. What is the most comfortable hotel in Moscow?
1. Do you get up on Sunday later than on week-days? 2. Why do you
V. Переведите следующие предложения:
1. В Лондоне погода зимой более сырая, чем в Москве. Там чаще
ров вам больше всего нравится? 8. — Не могли бы вы прийти к нам завтра в 10 часов, а не в 12? — С удовольствием. 10 часов удобнее для меня, чем 12. 9. Мы не можем принять ваше предложение, так как ваши цены выше цен других фирм.
VI. Составьте предложения, пользуясь следующими таблицами:
1. Don't you like listening to music?
having long walks?
writing letters to your friends?
2. Didn't your friend enjoy his summer holiday?
that performance? those interesting books? sunbathing on the beach? that English film? his winter holiday?
3. Isn't that an interesting performance?
your first visit to London ?
a less important question?
4. What letter haven't you gone through yet?
VII. Переведите на английский язык:
1. Неужели вы не видели этот интересный спектакль? 2. Разве ваша сестра не умеет плавать? 3. Кто из вас не любит загорать? 4. Неужели вашей жене не понравился Египет? 5. Разве ваши друзья не на пляже? 6. Какие условия контракта вы еще не обсуждали?
· Разве вы не заключили вчера контракт с фирмой «Томсон и Ко.»?
· Разве ваша контора не ведетторговли с какой-нибудь французской фирмой? 9. Какие модели вы еще не улучшили? 10. Почему самолет не прибыл вовремя?
Grammar and Vocabulary Exercises
VIII. Образуйте глаголы от следующих существительных:
translation, reservation, instruction, registration, declaration, discussion, invitation, reduction, collection, reception.
exporter, importer, skater, skier, buyer, seller, swimmer, teacher, reader, writer, flier, traveller.
Образуйте прилагательные от следующих наречий:
coldly, warmly, happily, conveniently, usually, nicely, lately, beautifully, wonderfully, interestingly, differently, shortly, finally, highly, greatly.
Дайте антонимы следующих прилагательных:
unhappy, unpleasant, unusual, uninteresting, unnecessary, unacceptable.
IX. Найдите эквиваленты к следующим предложениям из текста и диалогов:
1. Он решил воспользоваться возможностью посетить выставку. 2. Козлов встал раньше обычного. 3. Ему нужно было успеть на утренний поезд. 4. Он собирался пойти в ресторан, когда зазвонил телефон. 5. Мне нужен билет первого класса на 9-часовой поезд.
· Вы хотите билет в одном направлении или билет туда и обратно?
· — Мне нужно делать пересадку? — Нет. Это поезд прямого сообщения. 8. Сколько стоит билет? 9. Скажите, пожалуйста, когда экспресс прибывает в Эдинбург?
1. — Куда вы едете? — Я еду 9-часовым поездом в Эдинбург. 2. Его (чемодан) можно взять в купе. 3. Сюда, пожалуйста. 4. Разве это не мой поезд? 5. Нам нужно поспешить, или вы опоздаете на поезд. 6. Вот ваш вагон. 7. Счастливого вам пути.
X. Перефразируйте следующие предложения, употребляя сравнительную
* 1. It is not so convenient to travel third class as it is to travel first class.
2. It к not so warm at the Baltic sea-side as it is at the Black sea-side in
XI. Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. Why do most people like travelling? 2. Did you enjoy last journey?
3. Why was it more (less) interesting than usual? 4. When will you have
1. What exhibition have you visited this year? 2. Was it better or worse than the other ones? 3. Why did you like it better (less)? 4. What exhibition are you going to visit one of these days?
1. Why are through trains the most convenient ones? 2. When can a journey be the shortest one? 3. Why do we always take the opportunity of travelling by air? 4. Why do we have to change trains sometimes?
1. Which train is the fastest? 2. Is the fare on this train higher than on other trains ? 3. Why is a journey on an express more pleasant than on other trains?
XII. Составьте предложения по следующим моделям:
1.1 like skiing in winter. 2. When did you begin working at the Ministry? 3. They are interested in selling this equipment to us. 4. Don't let him miss the opportunity of speaking English during the talks. 5. He stopped writing when I came into the room. 6. Would you mind sending us your latest catalogues ? 7. I always enjoy listening to Chaikovsky's music.
XIII. Раскройте скобки, употребив глаголы в нужной форме:
1. When we came to the station the train already (to leave) and we (to have to wait) for the next train for an hour and a half. 2. Hallo, Peter. I (to be) happy to meet you. I (not to see) you since 19... I must say that you greatly (to change). 3. I'm glad that this (to be) a through train and we (not to have to change). 4. My friend said that he (to make) a journey to Egypt two years before. 5. When I (to meet) Nick yesterday he (to hurry) to his office and I (can, not to have a word) with him. 6. He was sorry that be (to miss) the opportunity of visiting the British exhibition. 7. I'm afraid J (not to be able) to collect the tickets tomorrow. 8. He wondered when
train 15 (to be due) in, Moscow. 9. I (to come) to the station at 5 o'clock yesterday. My friend (to wait) for me there as he (to come) earlier than I. We (to collect) his luggage at the left-luggage office and (to go) to the platform. 10. I (to ask) the porter to see to my luggage. My train (to arrive) already. We (to find) my carriage, I (to show) my ticket to the attendant and (to get in). There (to be) a few passengers in my compartment. They (to put) their suit-cases on the luggage-racks and (to take) their seats.
XIV. Переведите следующие предложения из прямой речи в косвенную:
1. "I’ll book a return ticket for you," the secretary said to Mr. Nikitin. 2. "Have you collected your ticket at the railway booking-office?" she asked me. 3. "I didn't get accommodation on the 10 o'clock train yesterday," my friend said. 4. "When can you collect your, luggage at the left-luggage office?" she said. 5. "My brother missed the through train last night," he said. 6. "We arrived at the station very early," she said. 7, "Do you book tickets for the express in advance?" I asked my friend. 8. "Who promised to get tickets for the exhit .tion ?" I asked my friend.
XV. Заполните пропуски артиклями там, где это необходимо:
Mr. Brown was travelling about France. After ... long journey he arrived at ... small country place and hurried to ... hotel. ... night before he had missed ... through train to that place and had to change trains. So he was glad to have ... good opportunity of spending ... few pleasant days in ... quiet (спокойный) place. It did not take him long to unpack ... suit-case and have ... supper. At about eleven o'clock he was already in bed. Suddenly he heard ... knock (стук) at ... door. "... letter for you, sir," said ... bell-boy (коридорный). "Well,... letter can wait till tomorrow, I believe," said ... traveller. He could not fall asleep (заснуть) for a long time. Some time later when Mr. Brown was asleep again (снова, опять) he heard another knock at the door. "What is it this time?" he asked ... bell-boy. "Sorry, sir, ... letter is not for you," was ... answer.
XVI. Заполните пропуски предлогами и перескажите текст:
AN ABSENT-MINDED (рассеянный) WRITER
Mr. Smith, a well-known writer, went the booking-office and
bought a single ticket ... the 7 o'clock express — Manchester. The booking-office clerk told him that the train was due to arrive ... Manchester ... 9 o'clock the next morning. ... the evening Mr. Smith came ... the railway station ... taxi. As he came ... the station ... ten minutes ... seven and was afraid to miss the train he hurried ... his carriage. When he got ... the train and found his compartment he put his suit-case ... the luggage-rapk and sat down to read a magazine. The train was going very fast. After it had passed (проехал) two or three stops a ticket-collector (контролер) came to collect the tickets. Mr. Smith couldn't find his ticket. As some .. •
the passengers told the ticket-collector that Mr. Smith was a well-known writer the ticket-collector said ... him: "That's all right, sir. I know you've got a "ticket." "But I must find it. I must know where I'm going ...," was the reply.
XVII. Составьте предложения, употребив следующие слова и выражения:
to travel by railway, to take an opportunity, to be about, to miss a train, to change trains, to invite, to be due, to hurry, to see off, the most convenient, not so ... as, worse, than usual.
XVIII. Переведите на английский язык:
1. Я выяснил, что поезд № 30 был самым удобным для меня.
2. Мы уже собирались уходить с выставки, когда мой друг заметил
XIX. Воспроизведите диалоги урока.
XX. Ответьте на следующие вопросы и на основе ответов составьте краткий
1. Have you ever been to the Caucasus? 2. Do you like flying to the Caucasus or going there by train? 3. Why do some people like going by train? 4. \\Ъа^ the fare to Sochi by air? 5. What's the fare to Sochi by railway ? 6. Is there a through train to Sochi or do you have to change trains ? 7. From what railway-station does the train leave for Sochi?
1. Do you usually arrive at the station early? 2. Why do you do it?
3. Who usually packs your things? 4. Do you take a lot of different things
1. When did you last go on business ? 2. Where did you go to ? 3. Did you go there by train or by plane? 4. Did you go there by a through train or did you have to change? 5. Who came to the railway-station to see you off?
6. Did you come to the station early or late? 7. Were you afraid that you
1. When will you have a holiday this year? 2. Where are you going to spend it? 3. Will you go there by train or will you fly there? 4. Will you book a single ticket or a return ticket? 5. Is it more convenient or less convenient to book a return ticket? 6. Why is it more convenient to book a return ticket?
1. Which of you likes travelling? 2. Have you travelled a lot? 3. What beautiful cities or towns have you been to? 4. Did you go sightseeing there? 5. When are you going to travel again? 6. Why do people like travelling?
7. Do you take much or little luggage with you when you travel?
1. How long did you stay abroad? 2. Where did you stay? 3. Who had reserved the accommodation for you at the hotel ? 4. What was the charge at the hotel? 5. What was the weather like during your stay there? 6. Did you like it there? 7. How often did you have the opportunity of speaking English there?
XXI. Дайте развернутые ответы на следующие вопросы:
1. What do you do .before you make a journey? 2. What must you do to book a ticket on a train in advance? 3. What is a through train? 4. Why is it more convenient to have a return ticket when you go to the Caucasus in summer? 5. What journey will you enjoy making? 6. Why is it convenient to leave luggage at the left-luggage office? 7. Why don't people like seeing off their friends? 8. What must you do not to miss the train?
XXII. Выразите удивление или сомнение, используя вопросительно-отрица
Образцы: Не is going to book a Single ticket.
Isn't he going to book a return ticket? No, he isn't.
1. Peter promised to call for us at 5. 2. She has caught only the 9 o'clock train. 3. He is going to leave from Kiev Station. 4. We shall travel second class. 5. Our journey to Odessa was the most pleasant. 6. The buyers are interested in Model-10. 7. Our office required April shipment. 8. We can buy power equipment from a French firm.
XXIII. Подтвердите или опровергните следующие утверждения:
1. You are quite right. Quite so. Yes, certainly. 2.1 don't think so. I'm afraid it's not so.
1. It will take you less time to get to Petersburg by train than by plane.
· It is always more convenient to book single tickets than return tickets.
· It is more pleasant to travel by air than by railway. 4. It is convenient to go by a through train. 5. There are always many visitors at Russian exhibitions
abroad. 6. There are dining-cars on all through trains. 7. Winter is the finest time of the year in Moscow. 8. It is more convenient to travel third class than to travel first class. 9. You won't have to change trains to get to London. 10. You can reserve accommodation for any train at the Intourist booking-office. 11. There is a dining-car on every train. 12. Not all the passengers go through the Customs when they arrive from abroad.
XXIV. Составьте ситуации на основе следующих предложений:
1. Our journey to Tbilisi was the most wonderful. 2.1 got an invitation to the opening of the chemical exhibition. I was glad to take the opportunity. 3. There was no through train so I had to change. 4. He was very sorry that he had missed the train. 5. We came to the station to see them off. 6. After my friend had put my luggage on the luggage-rack, he said, "A pleasant journey to you." 7.1 was about to get on the train but the attendant said my ticket was for another train. 8.1 promised my friends to join them for dinner at the Metropol restaurant.
XXV. Составьте диалоги, употребив следующие слова и выражения:
BUYING A TICKET
one first to D. single or return
to change a through train
to arrive to be due ...
What's the fare? ... shillings
TALKING TO A PORTER
Porter Yes, sir.
see to my luggage to travel
to Glasgo luggage
to travel first class which class?
two suit-cases to leave
platform to hurry
XXVI. Закончите следующие ситуации:
· To-day we have had a cable from my brother. He writes that he will arrive in Moscow on ...
· The train arrived in London at 8 p.m. When I got off the train I saw that no one had come to meet me. So I ...
· Yesterday we came to the station to see off our friend. When we came UP to ihis carriage the attendant asked my friend to show him his ticket. But my friend found that he had no ticket. I said ...
· There is no through train from Tbilisi to Odessa. As I didn't want to change trains I decided ...
· Last Sunday my friend and I decided to go to the country. He said that at 9 o'clock he would be waiting for me at the railway station. But at 8 o'clock in the morning when I was about to leave the house the telephone rang and ...
· My friend was coming back to Moscow from Sochi. At one of the stations he got off the train to send a cable to his wife. When he came out he saw that his train had already left...
XXVII. Перескажите следующие тексты:
SEEING A FRIEND OFF
Three men were sitting at a bar near a railway-station. They had asked the railway porter to tell them when the train was due. Some time later the porter came to say that the train was coming in. "Oh," said the men, "we have time for just one more drink." They took another drink and hurried out, but their train had already left.
They went back to the bar. An hour later the second train arrived, and the same thing happened. They missed the train again. Two hours later the porter came and told them that the last train was due in five minutes. Again the men waited for a few minutes to have one more drink and when they came out the train had already started. Two of the men caught the train. But the third man missed the train and walked back to the bar.
"By the way," the barman asked him, when he came in, "what town are your friends going to?"
"I don't know, where they are going to," the man answered. "They just came down to the station to see me off."
a bar бар; to have a drink выпить; the same thing то же самое; to happen случаться; again опять, снова; to start отправляться; a barman бармен
TOO MUCH FOR THEM
Some young men were travelling in a smoking compartment of a railway carriage. Just as the train was about to start the door suddenly opened, and an old woman came into their compartment. The young men wanted to have the compartment for themselves and they said: "This is a smoking carriage." But the woman did not listen to them. She came into their compartment and sat down. They decided to smoke as much as they could and hoped that she would have to leave the carriage soon. There was a lot of smoke in the compartment and the young men began to feel bad.
In a quarter of an hour to their great surprise the woman took out a pipe and began smoking too.
The young men had to change their compartment very soon.
to start отправляться; for themselves для себя; a pipe трубка
XXVIII. Выполните следующие задания:
· Meet Mr. Morrison at the airport. Tell him you have booked a room for him at the Metropol hotel.
· Meet Mr. Look in your office, ask him what hotel he is staying at and whether he has done some sightseeing.
· Ask Mr. Horn if he has had a pleasant journey and whether he has been to the Bolshoi Theatre.
· Ask Mr. Camp what goods he is interested in and what terms of shipment suit his company.
· Tell Mr. Readly what goods you can offer them and let him know your price and the terms of delivery.
· Tell Mr. Nelson that as you are going to place a big order with them you ask them to reduce their prices. Say they are higher than the world prices.
· Tell Mr. Todd you have improved your models lately and you are going to sell them at a higher price. Ask if the firm can take part deliveries.
XXIX. Сделайте сообщения на следующие темы:
1. Travelling by railway. 2. At the booking-office. 3. At the railway-station.
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 18.104.22.168 (0.04 с.)