ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
XXX. Memorize the following proverbs. Translate them into
1. One cannot please everyone. 2. We never know the value of water till the well is dry. 3. You cannot eat your cake and have it. 4. We know not what is good until we have lost it. 5. One cannot make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear. 6. You cannot teach old dogs new tricks. 7. You cannot judge a tree by its bark. 8. We soon believe what we desire. 9. You cannot wash charcoal white.
EXERCISES for individual work
I. Insert may or might:
1. It ... rain, you’d better take a coat. 2. He said that it ... rain. 3. He said that we ... use his office whenever we liked. 4. You ought to buy now; prices ... go up. 5. You ... be more attentive in class. 6. They said they ... come tomorrow. 7. ... I borrow your umbrella? 8. Some of these mines ... even become profitable again. 9. We ... go to the country tomorrow.
II. Insert can, could or be able to:
1. He was very strong: he ... ski all day and dance all night. 2. I had no key so I ... lock the door. 3. When I first went to Spain I ... read Spanish but I ... speak it. 4. I was a long way from the stage. I ... see all right but I ... hear very well. 5. I’m locked in. I ... get out! (negative). 6. I ... go to the lecture today because I feel bad. 7. When I was a child I ... understand adults, and now when I am an adult I ... understand children. 8. ... you tell me the time, please? I’m afraid I ... . I haven’t got a watch.
III. Change the sentences into the Past and Future Indefinite:
1. He must sell the house. 2. We must do it at once. 3. Must you pay for it yourself? 4. She must learn the text by heart. 5. They must change trains in Paris. 6. They must read it carefully. 7. We must study hard. 8. I must change my shoes. 9. We must hurry. 10. They must be at the University at 8.30.
IV. Insert must orthe present, future, or past form of have to:
1. You ... read this book. It’s really excellent. 2. She felt ill and ... leave early. 3. Mr Pitt ... cook his own meals. His wife is away. 4. Farmers ... get up early. 5. Park notice: All dogs ... be kept on leads. 6. Employer: You ... come to work in time. 7. He sees very badly and he ... wear glasses all the time. 8. Tell her that she ... be here by six. I insist on it. 9. The buses were all full and I ... get a taxi. 10. This work ... be done at once. 11. I hadn’t enough money and I ... pay by cheque. 12. You ... be careful crossing the road.
V. Insert must not or need not:
1. We ... drive fast; we have plenty of time. 2. You ... drive fast; there is a speed limit here. 3. You ... drink this: it is poison. 4. You ... smoke in a non-smoking compartment. 5. You ... ring the bell; I have a key. 6. Mother to child: You ... play with matches. 7. You ... write to him for he will be here tomorrow. 8. You ... bring an umbrella. It isn’t going to rain. 9. Candidates ... bring books into the examination room. 10. You ... do all the exercise. Ten sentences will be enough. 11. We ... make any noise or we’ll wake the baby. 12. I’ll lend you the money and you ... pay me back till next month.
VI. Put «to» where necessary:
1. He was able (explain). 2. He should (be) ready by now. 3. May I (ask) you a question? 4. You are not (mention) this to anyone. 5. The doctor said that I ought (give up) smoking. 6. It might (kill) somebody. 7. You needn’t (come) tomorrow. 8. He has (do) it himself. 9. We’ve got (get out). 10. You ought (have finished) it last night. 11. We didn’t have (pay) anything. 12. She ought (accept) the offer. 13. You can’t (cross) the street here.
VII. Insert one(s) or one’s:
1. No, that’s not their car. Theirs is a blue ... . 2. I’ve never seen such big tulips as these ... . 3. If you don’t like this magazine, take another ... .
VIII. Translate into English:
1. Можна було б чекати від нього більш увічливої відповіді.
U N I T 10
1. Practise the pronunciation of the following words:
a) stress the first syllable:
product, willingness, influence, price, relatively, vary, quantity, happen, portion, budget, couple, obstacle, rise, double;
b) stress the second syllable:
demand, determine, relationship, express, reduction, inversely, consume, consumer, consumption, ability, desire, elastic;
c) stress the third syllable:
economic, economics, correlation, inelastic.
Most people think of demand as being the desire for a certain economic product. That desire must be coupled with1the ability and willingness to pay. Effective demand, that is desire plus ability and willingness to pay, influences and helps to determine prices.
In economics the relationship of demand and price is expressed by the Law of Demand. It says that the demand for an economic product varies inversely2with its price. In other words, if prices are high the quantities demanded will be low. If prices are low the quantities demanded will be high.
The correlation between demand and price does not happen by chance3. For consumers price is an obstacle to buying, so when prices fall, the more consumers buy.
The demand for some products is such that consumers do care about changes in price when they buy a great many more units of product because of a relatively small reduction in price. The demand for the product is said to be elastic4.
For other products the demand is largely inelastic. This means that
Even if the price were cut in half6, the quantity demanded might not rise very much. Then too, the portion of a person’s yearly budget that is spent on salt is so small that even if the price were to double7, it would not make much difference in the quantity demanded.
1.to be coupled with — бути поєднаним
2.inversely — обернено пропорцiйно
3.by chance — випадково
4. ... the demand for the product is said to be elastic — кажуть, що попит на продукт еластичний
5.to bring about — призвести
6.if the price were cut in half — якщо цiну треба було б зменшити вдвiчi
7.were to double — треба було б подвоїти
I. Find equivalents:
II. Match the synonyms:
by chance, to double the price, an obstacle, to consider, efficient, a cut in price, to bring about, to happen, by accident, a relationship, to cause, effective, to raise the price a hundred per cent, a barrier, to think, to occur, a correlation, a reduction in price.
III. Match the antonyms:
ability, higher price, to cut, to supply, to demand, inelastic, to consume, to raise, least, to couple, small, large, inversely, to part, incapacity, to produce, most, elastic, directly, lower price.
IV. Fill in the blanks with prepositions or adverbs if necessary:
1. Most ... people think ... demand as being the desire ... a certain economic product. 2. In economics the relationship ... demand and price is expressed ... the Law ... Demand. 3. It says that the demand ... an economic product varies inversely ... its price. 4. The demand ... some products is such that consumers do care ... changes ... price when they buy a great many more units ... product ... a relatively small reduction ... price. 5. The correlation ... demand and price does not happen ... chance. 6. A higher or lower price ... salt probably will not bring ... much change ... the quantity bought because people can consume ... so much salt.
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 184.108.40.206 (0.005 с.)