Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
Типы вопросительных предложений. Предлоги места
Задание 1. Выберите правильный вариант предлога
Задание 2. Запишите структуру каждого предложения
Задание 3. Поставьте где нужно What или What's
Задание 1. Заполните пропуски предлогами
1) I study … the college. It is rather far … my house and I go there … bus. I have classes … 15.00. … leaving the college I have a large amount … time I go shopping together … my brother. My brother is a pupil, he goes … school. His school is … our house. … shopping we do our homework. Then … the evening, we watch TV, listen … radio.
Задание 2. Поставьте к следующим предложениям общие и специальные вопросы
1. There is a book on the table. 2. He must work hard today. 3. We are leaving for Moscow next week. 4. We were reading the whole evening. 5. They don't go to work on Sunday. 6. It is not cold today. 7. Ann has already begun to read a new book. 8. We learn English at school. 9. They will show you how to get there.
Задание 3. Заполните пропуски словами, приведенными ниже
A) Why В) What C) What's D) How E) Where
1. _____ is the nearest telephone? 2. _____ do they get to school? 3. _____ didn't you come to school yesterday? 4. _____ often does he go running? 5. _____ time do you get back? 6. _____ don't we go shopping this afternoon? 7. _____ much are these trousers? 8. _____ are his hobbies? 9. _____ your phone number? 10. _____ do you think of this dress? 11. _____ in the newspaper today? 12. _____ does Jane's sister look like.13. _____ are you thinking about? 14. _____ are you doing now? 15. _____ don't you wear this sweater?
Задание 4. Подберите соответствующий «хвостик» к каждому вопросу
Задание 1. Задайте вопрос к выделенному слову
Задание 2. Правильно ли использованы ответные реплики?
A) Right B) Wrong
1. I've just met Simon. - Oh, have you? How is he?
2. He's very well. - Oh, isn't he? And you?
3. I'm feeling tired. - Oh, do you?
4. Yes, I went for a long walk yesterday. - Oh, went you?
5. Yes, I walked to a lovely town. - Did you?
6. Yes, but it was very strange. - Wasn't it?
7. Yes, it didn't have any parking space. - Oh, didn't they?
8. No, and there weren't any cars. - Really?
9. No, but everyone had bicycles. - Oh, had they?
10. Yes, it's a really clean town. - Has it?
11. I want to live there. - Oh, did you?
12. Yes. It looks perfect. - Oh, does it?
Задание 3. Переведите предложения на английский язык
1. Вам нравится больше английский язык или французский?
2. Он живет в Ростове или в Москве?
3. Она его младшая или старшая сестра?
4. Студенты уже сдали экзамены или нет?
5. Петровы поедут летом на юг или на север?
6. Ваш друг учится в колледже или в университете?
7. Он знает ее лучше или вы?
Задание 4. Переведите предложения на английский язык, употребляя предлоги at, on, in, to, into
1. Где Коля? — Он в университете. 2. Папа ходит на работу каждый день. 3. Вчера папа был на работе, а мама была дома. 4. Вчера я ходил в библиотеку. В библиотеке я взял очень интересную книгу. 5. Катя сидела за столом. На столе лежали книги и тетради. Папа подошел к столу и поставил на стол вазу. В вазу он поставил цветы. 6. Вчера мы ходили на выставку. На выставке мы видели много картин. 7. Где Том? — Он на стадионе. Он всегда ходит на стадион в воскресенье. А его сестра ходит в плавательный бассейн. Сейчас она в бассейне. 8. Ты любишь ходить в театр?
МОДУЛЬНЫЙ БЛОК № 4
«FREE TIME ACTIVITIES»
ОБУЧАЮЩИЙ МОДУЛЬ 4.1
Задание 1. Прочитайте и переведите текст
My Day Off
Most people in our country work five days a week but students and pupils work six days. They have only one day off, it is Sunday. I like this day very much. You needn't hurry anywhere and you may go wherever you like after your week's work. On this day I wake up later than usual.
As soon as I get up I air the room and do my bed. Then I have breakfast, clear away the dishes and wash up.
Two more hours for getting ready with my homework and I am free. I meet my friends and we discuss our plans together. We can go to the cinema or to the theatre, to museums and parks.
In fine weather we also like to be out of town. We find a nice place somewhere in the forest or on the bank of the river. We lie in the sun, play different games and swim. When the weather is bad my friends come to my place and we listen to music or go to the cinema. We like films about the life of the youth abroad. On the way home we usually discuss the films we've seen. Sometimes we receive guests at our places or go for a walk. I enjoy my days off very much.
Задание 2. Подберите к каждому вопросу наиболее подходящий ответ
Задание 3. Выучите тему наизусть
Every day I go to the college. I get up early and do homework every day. I have piano lessons twice a week.
But on weekends I like to do something different. I like to relax. I watch TV or videos. If it rains, I prefer indoor activities: to read books, to play chess, draughts or table-tennis, to practice woodcraft, to play records, to write some letters, to draw, to clean the house. As for my sister she likes to knit and sew. She takes an aerobics class on Sundays.
In winter I go skiing or skating. I like to play ice hockey. My sister likes figure skating. I like to watch Winter Olympics on TV. I like to watch ski jumping, hockey and figure skating too.
In spring and summer I prefer outdoor activities: to do some gardening, to ride a bike, to go roller skating, to play volleyball and badminton. I like to go swimming and to dive. I like to go boating too. Sometimes I go fishing and do a lot of photography. Of all outdoor games I prefer tennis. I'm not a good tennis player but playing tennis relaxes me.
In autumn I prefer to go to the cinema, to the theatre, to the library and art exhibitions.
Задание 4. Выберите подходящее слово и заполните пропуски
Задание 1. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту «My Day Off» (1 уровень, задание 1)
1. What days of the week do you like and why?
2. What time do you get up on Sunday?
3. What do you do in the morning?
4. How do you usually spend your days off?
5. Do you often go to the country on your days off?
6. How did you spend your last Sunday?
7. Do you go shopping?
8. Do you go in for sports on Sunday?
Задание 2. Прочитайте и переведите диалог. Разыграйте диалог
A. Hi, Alex! It is nice to meet you. They say you are attending the courses of studying the Spanish language. Are you going to enter Foreign Languages Institute?
B. Hi, Kate! No, I am not going to enter such kind of educational institution. Learning foreign languages is my hobby.
A. Oh, good for you. To my mind, learning foreign languages adds much to the knowledge of your own language. Is it difficult to study Spanish?
B. Believe it or not, but it is easy for me.
A. Is that really so? Great! Will you be so kind as to let me go with you to these courses?
B. It goes without saying. You are welcome.
A. Alex, I don’t know how to thank you ... What should I take with me?
B. Kate, you need only a notebook and a pen. They have all modern study aids: tape-recorders, voice recording with booklets, videotapes...
A. Sorry for interrupting you. And do you use computers during your classes?
B. Certainly! Computers provide not only instruction and practice, but also self instruction. You may use different application programs. You will go and see.
A. Thanks a lot! That’s fine!
Задание 1. Обменяйтесь мнениями о времяпрепровождении, используя предлагаемые выражения
- What are the most popular free time activities in Britain?
- Some children spend all their free time staying at home. They watch TV or play video games.
- Oh, great! Computer games are very expensive. And they have become rather popular in this country too.
- My friends are crazy about computers. But I think it’s a waste of time. I prefer outdoor activities.
- There is a running boom in Britain today. I started running and jogging. Next summer I’m going to take part in the London Marathon.
- Really? I’m also a member of our school football team…
- What other sports clubs do you have?
- We have a chess club (an aerobic club, a tennis club…)
- And where do young people in your town (city) go for a night out?
- Discos are the usual thing.
Задание 2. Заполните пропуски подходящими словами, первые буквы которых даны в предложениях
1) Most people choose a hobby for p.... 2) People of a... any age can enjoy hobbies. 3) Almost any kind of l... activity can become a hobby. 4) Hobbies of different categories may o.. each other. 5) Hobbyists have many p... in each art form. 6) The most w... kind of hobby is collecting. 7) Some hobbyists can work s... with their hands. 8) Some people are engaged in n... activities. 9) Hobbyist may use k... to make model aero planes. 10) J... making is a kind of handicrafts.
Задание 3. Давайте поговорим о вашем хобби
What do you think a hobby is? Let's speak about your hobbies. I'd like to say that it's very interesting to have a hobby. Hobbies help us to learn more about our planet, to be more intelligent and well-educated. We should all have a hobby and our life will be more interesting. You know there is the proverb "Tastes differ". Whose hobby do you think is the best?
1. Travelling. Who is interested in travelling? Tell us about your hobby.
2. Collecting stamps. Who has a collection of stamps? Tell us a few words about your collections. Is your collection thematic? What is its name? What can stamps teach you? Are you proud of your collection(s)?
3.There is one more hobby - going to the theatre. Who enjoys going to the theatre? Are you a theatre-goers? Do you prefer to have seats in the stalls or in the balcony? What is your favourite theatre?
4. Books are our best friends, aren't they? Which of you adores reading? What types of books do you prefer? Have you got a big collection of books at home? How long have you been collecting books? Tell us about your library.
5. Who is fond of dancing? Would you like to tell us about your hobby?
6.Cooking is a beautiful hobby, isn't it? Can everybody cook well? Who cooks in your family?
ОБУЧАЮЩИЙ МОДУЛЬ 4.2
Задание 1. Прочитайте и переведите текст, обращая внимание на слова, выделенные курсивом. Выпишите их в словарь
Since ancient times there were people who couldn't live for a long time in one place. Their cherished desire was to travel, because they wanted to trade with different countries or just see new far away places. Those, who wish to travel, either for pleasure or on business, have at their disposal various means of transport, for instance, bicycles, motorcycles, motor-cars, boats, ships, airplanes, helicopters and others.
Some tourists in foreign countries are fond of sightseeing. They usually stay at the hotels because they prefer comfortable life. Those who are interested in history, can visit ancient castles, churches, royal palaces and take pictures. All of them get acquainted with people of the country they are visiting, their customs and traditions.
There are a lot of families that spend their free time going on short or long hikes. Many people think that it is the best way to see the real countryside.
One of the best places for camping is seaside. People spend all day long by the sea. It is nice to bathe, dive, swim and splash in the warm water. Children can collect sea shells, plants, insects, minerals. Even little kids can enjoy themselves playing by the sea and building sand castles.
Some people prefer to make a journey in a car. It's especially pleasant if the road is straight and smooth. You can set out when you like, stop when and where you have a mind to and enjoy delightful spots rarely visited by other travelers.
Traveling by air is becoming more popular. Though it's expensive but it's the quickest means of transport.
The speed of sea liners is good deal slower than that of planes. But when the holiday season is in full swing it's next to impossible to get accommodation on a liner. When the weather is fine and the sea is as smooth as glass your voyage will be wonderful.
As for me I like to travel by train. First we try to buy tickets beforehand (in advance) and if not, we have to stand in (a) line at the booking office to buy a ticket an hour before the train arrives. As a rule I buy a 2-nd class ticket. I pack my things, take suit-cases, bags, (trunks, rucksacks) and go to the railway station where I find the platform, train and my car (carriage). I like to travel light but oftener I have a lot of luggage. When it is heavy I ask a porter to see to it. It doesn't matter if I have an upper or lower birth. I get bedding at once and look out of the window to wave good-bye to my friends who come to see me off.
Though travelling by train is not boring I am always glad when we reach our place of destination.
Слова и выражения, встречающиеся в тексте:
Задание 2. Выучите тему наизусть
Modern life is impossible without travelling. Millions of people all over the world spend theirholidays travelling. They travel to see other countries and continents, new cities, they travel to enjoy picturesque places. It is always interesting to discover new things, to meet different people.
Those who live in the country, like to go to a big city and spend their time visiting museums and art galleries, looking at shop windows. City dwellers usually like a quiet holiday by the sea or in the mountains, with nothing to do but walk and bathe and laze in the sun.
Most travellers and holiday-makers take a camera with them and take pictures of everything that interest them: the sight of a city, old churches and castles, views of mountains, lakes, animals and birds.
People travel by train, by car. All means of travel have their advantages and disadvantages.
If we are fond of travelling, we see and learn a lot of things, we can never see or learn at home, though we may read about them in books and newspaper and see pictures of them on TV. The best way to study geography is to travel, and the best way to understand the people is to meet them in their own houses.
Задание 1. Прочитайте текст «Travel Arrangements» и заполните пропуски недостающей информацией, используя следующие слова
Travel Agent: Freedom Travel. How may I help you?
Caller: Yes, I'd like to make a flight (1) _____ for the twenty-third of this month.
Travel Agent: Okay. What is your (2) _____?
Caller: Well. I'm flying to Helsinki, Finland.
Travel Agent: Okay. Let me check what flights are (3) _____. Okay.And when will you be returning?
Caller: Uh, I'd like to (4) _____ a return flight on the twenty-ninth. Oh, and I'd like the cheapest flight available.
Travel Agent:Okay. Let me see. Um, hmm...
Travel Agent: Well, the price for the flight is almost (5) _____ the price you would pay if you leave the day before.
Caller: Whoo. Let's go with the cheaper flight. By the way, how much is it?
Travel Agent: It’s only $980.
Caller:Alright. Let’s go with that.
Travel Agent:Okay. That’s flight 1070 from Salt Lake City to New York, Kennedy Airport, transferring to flight 90 from Kennedy to Helsinki.
Caller: And what are the (6) _____ and arrival times for each of those flights?
Travel Agent: It leaves Salt Lake City at 10:00 AM, arriving in New York at 4:35 PM, then transferring to flight 90 at 5:55 PM, and (7) _____ in Helsinki at 8:30 AM the next day.
Caller:Alright. And, uh, I'd like to (8) _____ a vegetarian (9) _____.
Travel Agent:Sure no (10) _____ And could I have your name please?
Задание 2. Прочтите текст «A future trip». Какие будущие действия запланированы и подготовлены, что они только собираются сделать, какие действия решено выполнить в момент речи. Заполните таблицу
Summer holidays are coming. The teacher wants to know her students' plans.
Mike:I don't know yet for sure. In June I will visit my grandparents. Maybe I’ll spend two weeks in a camp in July. But in August my parents and I are visiting Scotland.
Iris:Our family likes the idea of a boat trip. So we don't argue. We are going boating. I'm going to take a lot of pictures. I'll show them to you.
Tom:We are flying to Greece on the 15th of June. It won't be too hot there. We are staying at a hotel by the sea. We are arriving in the morning. I hope I’ll meet new friends. We are coming back on the 5th of July.
Задание 1. Установите, в каком из текстов (1-5) можно найти информацию, соответствующую разделам (A-F). Один раздел лишний
Airplanes are obviously a much more comfortable conveyance than covered wagons, but hurtling around the world in a metal box can have its unpleasant moments.
1. If you are very tall, you may prefer an aisle seat. This will hopefully give you a chance to stretch your legs into the aisle from time to time. Even better is to get a "bulkhead seat": there is usually more legroom in those positions. Be advised, however, that those seats go quickly; it pays to book ahead!
2. If you do come down with discomfort, one relatively easy but embarrassing way to feel better is to empty your stomach. "Barf bags" are usually located in the pouch on the back of the seat in front of you. Frequently, using them reduces and/or eliminates the discomfort.
3. Because of the altitude, airplanes can also be quite cold (especially the floor). I always take a jacket with me on the plane and take one of the blankets that the airline provides. Wool socks are not a bad idea either. On the larger planes, there is usually a little fan that blows on you. The airflow can be adjusted by twisting the unit.
4. Most of the large jets have sound systems built-in. Many of the newer planes also have built-in TV systems for movies and infomercials. Usually, you have to pay a small fee (generally around five US dollars) to rent headphones if you want sound. Be advised that the sound quality will NOT rival that of a compact disk player: the tapes get played over and over again, and the lack of fidelity can pain a purist.
5. U.S. carriers are pretty good about accommodating standard dietary preferences, but you have to help them out. If you are vegetarian or keep kosher, tell your travel agent when you purchase the ticket, and the airlines will usually accommodate you.
Задание 2. Ролевая игра по теме. Разыграйте сценку «В аэропорту», «На станции», «В агентстве по продаже билетов», «Наши планы на лето»
ОБУЧАЮЩИЙ МОДУЛЬ 4.3
At the Hotel
Задание 1. Прочитайте и переведите лексику, используемую в гостиничном бизнесе
Sorry - no children under ten years.
Rates subject to change
Reservations must be secured by your deposit cheque for one night's room rate.
Check-out time: 12 noon.
Room rates for one or two persons including a full continental breakfast:
Задание 2. Прочитайте и переведите диалоги.
1) A woman is calling a hotel clerk for reservations.
Clerk: Hello, Ashley Hotel.
Woman: Hello. I'd like to make reservations for 3 nights beginning March 6.
C: Yes, of course. What kind of room would you like?
W: I'd like a double room. How much would that be?
C: A double room is $42.00 a night.
W: O.K. I'll take it.
C: What is the name, please?
W: The name is Scott, Jack and Susan.
C: And what time will you be arriving?
W: We're planning to arrive around 8:00 in the evening.
C: Very well, Mom. We'll have your room ready for you.
W: OK Thank you!
C: Thank you for calling Ashley Hotel.
2) A man arrives at a hotel without reservations. He speaks to a clerk.
Clerk: May I help you, sir?
Man: Yes. I'd like a room for tonight.
C: Do you have a reservation?
M: No, I don’t.
C: I'm sorry, sir. We're completely booked up. This is a big week. Most places are booked. I think that some places outside of town might have rooms. You can try checking the yellow pages and calling.
M: O.K. I guess I'll have to try that. Thanks anyway.
3) A married couple is checking into a hotel. A clerk attends to them.
Clerk: Can I help you?
Husband: Yes. We have reservations for a double room for tonight. The name is Wilson.
C: Just a minute, sir. Is that Sam Wilson, Mr. and Mrs.?
Wife: Yes, it is.
C: OK. Please fill out this registration card.
W: (She fills it out.) OK. Here it is.
C: O.K. The room is $45.50 a night. The first night is payable in advance.
H: You accept traveler's checks, don't you? (Writing the check)
C: Yes, sir. We do. (Taking the check) The bell-hop will show you to your rooms. (To the bell-hop) James, please take Mr. and Mrs. Wilson to their room. Room 545.
Bell-hop: Yes, sir. Please come with me.
W: What time is check-out time?
C: Check-out time is 12:00 a.m.
4) A bell-hop brings a guest to the room.
Bell-hop: Here's your room, sir. Room 1266. (He opens the door)
Guest: Thank you. It seems to be O.K.
B-h: I hope you find everything to your satisfaction. If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to call the front desk or room service. Hope you have a pleasant stay.
G: Thank you (tips to the bell-hop).
B-h: Thank you, sir.
5) A woman calls room service for dinner.
Room service: Hello. Room service.
Woman: Hello, I'm calling from room 113. I would like to order dinner.
S: What would you like to order?
W: I'd like the roast beef with mashed potatoes and green beans.
S: Would you care for something to drink with dinner?
W: Ah...yes a large glass of milk.
S: Any dessert?
W: A dish of vanilla ice cream.
S: Thank you. We'll bring it up in about thirty minutes.
6) A man stops at the hotel desk and speaks to the clerk.
Clerk: May I help you?.
Man: Yes. Can you call me a taxi?
C: Yes, sir. (He talks on the telephone) OK, sir. One should be here in about five minutes.It will stop in front.
7) Receptionist: Good evening! Can I help you?
Guest: Good evening! Are there any free rooms?
Receptionist: Yes, sir. Do you want a single or double room?
Guest: A double, please with a bathroom.
Receptionist: How long will you stay?
Guest:Three nights, or possibly four.
Receptionist: Very good. You can take Room 302. Will you please sign the register? The porter will take your luggage up.
Guest: How much do you charge?
Receptionist: Two pounds for bed and breakfast.
Задание 1. Прочитайте и переведите текст для получения информации. Составьте развернутый план
A hotel is an establishment that provides paid lodging, usually on a short-term basis. Hotels often provide a number of additional guest services such as a restaurant, a swimming pool or childcare. Some hotels have conference services and meeting rooms and encourage groups to hold conventions and meetings at their location.
In Australia or Canada, the word may also refer to a pub or bar. In India, the word may also refer to a restaurant since the best restaurants were always situated next to a good hotel.
Services and Facilities
Basic accommodation of a room with only a bed, a cupboard, a small table and a washstand has largely been replaced by rooms with bathrooms and, more commonly in the United States than elsewhere, climate control.
Other features found may be a telephone, an alarm clock, a TV, and broadband Internet connectivity. Food and drink may be supplied by a mini-bar (which often includes a small refrigerator) containing snacks and drinks (to be paid for on departure), and tea and coffee making facilities (cups, spoons, an electric kettle and sachets containing instant coffee, tea bags, sugar, and cream or milk).
Some hotels offer various combinations of meals as part of a room and board arrangement. In the United Kingdom, a hotel is required by law to serve food and drinks to all comers within certain stated hours; to avoid this requirement it is not uncommon to come across "private hotels" which are not subject to this requirement.
In Japan, capsule hotels offer minimal facilities and room space.
The cost and quality of hotels are usually indicative of the range and type of services available. Due to the enormous increase in tourism worldwide during the last decades of the 20th century, standards, especially those of smaller establishments, have improved considerably. For the sake of greater comparability, rating systems have been introduced, with the one to five stars classification being most common.
The star classification system is a common one for rating hotels. Higher star ratings indicate more luxury.
Задание 2. Прочитайте и переведите советы по пребыванию в гостинице, ответьте на вопросы
When travelling people almost always stay at hotels. It is advisable to remember the following things:
1. Book a room in advance either by letter, telephone or telegram. Otherwise you may arrive at the hotel and they will tell you that there are no rooms.
2. On arrival at the hotel go to the reception desk in the lobby and confirm your reservation. The clerk will then give you a registration form to fill in and sign (the form is filled in block letters). In smaller hotels you simply sign the visitor’s book and give your permanent address.
3. At large hotels you may ask for any service by telephone. You tell the operator if you wish to be called at a certain time, you call room service when you want a meal or drinks sent to your room, valet or maid service if you need something (a suit or dress) cleaned or pressed.
4. Let the hotel management know well in advance the day of your departure.
1. Why is it advisable to book a room in advance?
2. How can one reserve a room?
3. How does one confirm a reservation?
4. What does a visitor fill in on arrival at a hotel?
5. Why must the form be written out in block letters?
6. Who and when must you tell about your departure?
7. What kind of service may you ask for by telephone at large hotels?
Задание 1. Ролевая игра «At the Hotel»
Задание 2. Разыграйте один из диалогов 1 уровня, составьте и разыграйте свой собственный диалог
ОБУЧАЮЩИЙ МОДУЛЬ 4.4
Задание 1. Прочитайте и переведите текст
The beach is a traditional summer destination for thousands of people. Everyone wants to go to the beach! Sun, surf, and sand are a magnetic lure for millions of visitors. The wealth of things to go includes sunbathing, jogging, boating, fishing and surfing. Ever presented breezes keep the temperature comfortable and the water warm. Beach cities are the centers for easygoing life styles. For example, the roller skating craze started on the Venice boardwalk.
Though sea, sun and sand are the same, people try to go to a different place every year, because fauna, flora, and the air are different. Spending holidays on the beach is a great rest though many people combine sunbathing with visiting museums and places of interest.
Задание 2. Соотнесите слова с предлагаемыми объяснениями.
Задание 1. Переведите текст и ответьте на вопросы
My Last Winter Holidays
Our winter holidays always coincide with two important dates –New Year’s Eve and Christmas, that’s why, as a rule, I never leave Kyiv at this time of year. Our Ukrainian custom is to spend these two evenings with our family. This year my winter holidays were not an exception and I spent them at home. The days before New Year’s Eve were full of preparations: I had to buy small presents for my parents and grandparents. I wanted to buy a Christmas tree and some more Christmas decorations. I helped my Mum to do the shopping for our New Year’s Eve dinner. In other words, I was very busy. During the very last hours of the year we decorated the Christmas tree, laid the table near it and drank our Champagne, saying good-bye to the Old Year, and greeting the New Year. Then we opened our Christmas presents. I got a lot of candies and a beautiful sweater.
The day before Christmas the weather was bright and frosty. I was skiing and riding sledges with lots of hills, what made it very exciting.
In the morning we went to church. The service was beautiful, with wonderful chants and the smell of incense. Then we went to visit our relatives.
The days after Christmas passed quickly. I went to see my friends, I went walking and skiing, once, I went to the museum. And then – look! – it’s time to get ready for school.
1. Which two important days do your winter holidays coincide with?
2. Where do you usually spend your winter holidays?
3. Where did you spend your winter holidays this year?
4. What were you doing the very last hours of the year?
5. What were you doing during the days before New Year’s Eve?
6. What did you get for a holiday present?
7. What were you doing in the days before Christmas?
8. How did you spend your Christmas?
10. What were you doing in the days after Christmas?
Задание 2. Расскажите о двух/трех британских праздниках, опираясь на текст
Holidays in Great Britain
There are some holidays in G.B. According to the Act of Parliament of 1871 there are some bank holidays. They are Christmas day, Boxing Day, New Year’s Day, Easter, May Day, spring bank holiday and simmer bank holiday. Public holidays in G.B. are called bank holidays because the banks as well as most of the offices and shops are closed. Other public holidays are Good Friday, May Day; also there is a Pancake Day, April’s Fool Day, Mother’s Day.
The most popular holiday is Xmas. Every year the people of Norway give the city of London the present. It is a big Xmas tree and it stands in Trafalgar square. Central streets are beautifully decorated. Before Xmas groups of singers go from house to house. They collect money for charity and sing carols, traditional Xmas songs. Many churches hold a carol serves on the Sunday before Xmas. The fun starts the night before, on the 24th of December. This is the day when people decorate their trees. Children hang stocking at the end of their beds, hoping that Santa Claus will come at night and full them with toys and sweets. Xmas is a family holiday. Relatives’ prepare for the big Xmas dinner of turkey and Xmas pudding and every one gives and gets presents. The 26th of December,Boxing Day, is an extra holiday after Xmas. This is the time to meet friends or sit at home and watch TV. New Year’s Day is less popular in Britain then Xmas.
On the New Year’s Day they watch the old year out and the New Year in. There are some traditions on New Year’s Day. One of them is the old First Footing. The first man to come into the house is very important. The Englishmen believe that he brings luck. This man (not a woman) must be healthy, young and pretty-looking. He brings presents - bread, a piece of coal or a coin.
Another best-loved holiday is St.Valentine’s Day on the 14th of February - the holiday of love and affection, the day of sending «valentines» and giving presents to those you love. «Be My Valentine» - Englishmen with these word ask to become friends or companion. Valentines are often decorated with symbols of love - red hearts and roses, ribbons and laces.
In England tradition of celebrating Easter is deep-rooted in the history of the nation. Easter is a church holiday. There is a popular belief that wearing 3 new things on Easter will bring good luck. Traditionally Easter parades of people in bright new spring clothes are held on this day. Another custom is decorating eggs for children. Eggs are hidden in the yards and little children believe that the Easter rabbit comes and leaves eggs for them. Easter candies are made in the form of eggs, little chickens and rabbits.
Halloweenis the day or evening before all Saints Day. Children dress up in Halloween costumes and masks over their faces. People give them sweets, cookies and apples. A favourite Halloween custom is to make a jack-o’-lantern (the children scrape out a pumpkin and cut the eyes, nose and mouth). They light a candle inside the pumpkin to scare their friends.
A few words about superstitions in Britain. The people believe that if they put shoes on the table, they will have bad luck. The English won’t kill a spider, especially money spiders (small red ones). This is very unlucky. Some animals are also lucky (black cats bring good luck, white horses are also lucky). The most unlucky thing is to break a mirror. This brings 7 years of bad luck. The number 13 is the most unlucky number especially combination Friday, the 13th.
Задание 3. Составьте 2-3 диалога, используя следующие выражения
- When are we arriving in Moscow?
- At 12 a.m.
- What airportare we arriving at?
- At Sheremetevo-1.
- What are you doing this Sunday?
- I have already planned to visit the Tretyakov Gallery. Will you join me?
- We are going to St. Petersburg at the weekend.
- What hotel are you going to stay at?
- We are going to stay with our friends.
- I think this trip will be boring.
- Why? We will visit museums, parks...
- I'm going to swim, fish and play sports on the seashore.
- Tastes differ.
- I think our holidays will be exciting.
- We are staying at a camp.
Задание 4. Закончите предложения, используя слова из списка
a) Most of the young people on the boat slept on the … in their sleeping bags.
b) As the train drew in to the station, Terry could see her sister waiting on the….
c) I was so nervous about flying that I left my bag in the….
d) By the time I got to the …, the express bus to Scotland had left.
e) As soon as the boat left the …, the storm began.
f) We hadn't had anything to eat, but luckily there was a … on the train.
g) I'm afraid there is only one first-class … free on the boat.
h) Tim reached Paris safely, but his luggage didn't reach its….
i) There was a queue of cars on the …, waiting for the car-ferry to the island.
j) Our plane nearly crashed into a fire-engine on the……
Задание 5. Подберите наиболее подходящий вариант, чтобы закончить предложение
Задание 1. Многие британцы любят проводить отпуск в Брайтоне. Заполните пропуски и вы узнаете, почему Брайтон такой популярный
Brighton _____ a popular holidays resort. There _____ always a lot to do. You _____ or _____ on thebeach or _____ the old part of the town. There _____ all kinds of water sports as well as golf and tennis. If you _____ sport, you'll have a chance to take part in different sporting events. We _____ barbecue parties, video evenings and theatre visits.
There _____ regular sightseeing, theatre and shopping trips to London, Oxford and Bath. Its friendly atmosphere _____ you feel at home.
Задание 2. Выберите наиболее подходящее слово из подчеркнутых
1. David's plane was cancelled/delayed by thick fog.
2. The ship's owner agreed to give the crew/passengers a pay-rise.
3. The plane from Geneva has just grounded/landed.
4. We hope that you will enjoy your flight/flying.
5. Because of heavy snow in London, their plane was diverted/deviated to Manchester.
6. I won't be long. I'm just packing my last luggage/suitcase.
7. A sign above the seats in the plane says "Fasten your life belt/seat belt".
8. You have to check in/check up an hour before the plane leaves.
9. All duty free goods must be declared/surrendered at the customs.
10. On the plane a stewardess/waitress brought me a newspaper.
11. The plane took off/took up and was soon high over the city.
12. I bought a simple/single ticket, as I was going to return by car.
Задание 3. Используйте слова из 4 задания 2 уровня и из 2 задания 3 уровня, поставив их в нужную форму чтобы закончить предложения
1. The plane … on time but arrived half an hour late.
2. We finally reached our … after travelling all day.
3. It was hard to find a seat on the train as there were so many.…
4. While we were waiting at the station we had a bite to eat in the....
5. I felt seasick so I went to my … and tried to sleep.
6. Do you want a return ticket, or a …?
7. The customs officer asked Bill if he had anything to….
8. There is a small … here for fishing boats and yachts.
9. How much … am I allowed to take with me on the plane?
10. I had to …my tickets, because I was ill and couldn't travel.
Задание 4. Заполните пропуски. Используйте слова из 2 задания 1 уровня
a) The travel agent will send you the … for your trip.
b) My neighbours went on a guided … of Rome.
c) The first time I went from England to France we had a very rough….
d) The first prize in the competition is a luxury Mediterranean….
e) When you go on a/an …, you pay one price which covers everything.
f) The college organized a/an … to search for the ancient ruins.
g) The Titanic sank on its first … in 1912.
h) … is one of my main interests.
i) Mr. Dean is away on a business … at the moment. Can I help you?
Задание 5. Замените подчеркнутые слова на слова из списка
1.I stayed in France for two weeks last year.
2. It's difficult to find anywhere to stay in this town in the summer.
3.We were short of money so we decided to get lifts in other people's cars.
4.I'd like a room for the night please. A room for two people.
5.The place where we stayed wasn't a hotel but a private house where you pay to stay and have meals.
6.I'd like to reserve three single rooms for next week, please.
7.It was raining, and we couldn't find a place to put our tent.
8.I'd like a room for the night please. Do you have a free one?
9.The school has its own place for students to stay.
10. We gave a tip to the person who carried our bags in the hotel.
Задание 6. Подготовить реферат по теме. Варианты тем
ОБУЧАЮЩИЙ МОДУЛЬ 4.1
Задание 1. Заполните пропуски артиклями a, an, где необходимо
I have ... hobby. I like to cook. During my leisure time I make ... cakes and pies. It is not difficult to make ... pie. Sometimes my brother helps me. He is ... good boy and we get along well with ... each other. My brother usually goes ... shopping and buys ... different things, which are necessary for ... cooking. My cakes are tasty but I like ... pies ... best of all.
Задание 1. Заполните пропуски артиклями. В скобках указано количество артиклей в предложении
1 . Amazon in Brazil is the longest river in … South America. (1)
2. … Japan and … United States are separated by … Pacific Ocean. (2)
3. … Liverpool is in north of … England, fairly close to … Wales. (1)
4 . I would love to go to … Jamaica, … Bahamas or somewhere else in … Caribbean.(2)
5 . … Suez Canal flows through north of … Egypt from … Port Said to … Suez, joining … Mediterranean to … Gulf of … Suez and … Red Sea.(5)
6 . On the first morning we went to … British Museum and had lunch at … MacDonald's in … Church Street (1)
7 . In the evening we went to a pub just off … Leicester Square, then we went to a pray at … National Theatre. (1)
8 . Next day we went to … Houses of Parliament and … Westminster Abbey and had lunch at … Peking Restaurant. (2)
9 . We looked in … Evening Standard newspaper and found there was a good firm at … Odeon cinema near … Piccadilly Circus. (2)
Задание 1. Вставьте артикли и переведите текст на русский язык со словарем
William Shakespeare ... greatest English playwright, was born in 1564 in ... Stratford-on-Avon in ... England. … Stratford is ... small country town in ... Farming district near ... centre of ... England. ... Avon, which is ... pretty river with ... grass and ... trees all along its banks, runs through ... Stratford. Not much is known of ... Shakespeare's father. He was ... farmer who, at ... different times of his life, sold ... meat and bought and sold... wool. He was poor and was often in ... money difficulties. Very little is known about ... life of his only son William also ... little house in which ... great writer was born still stands. It is now ... museum. William went to ... school in… Stratford. In 1586 he went to ... London. Probably ... first work he did there was at one of two theatres that there were in ... London at that time. Then he became ... actor and soon began to write ... plays for ... company of actors to which he belonged. Shakespeare bought ... largest house in his home town in 1597, but he did not spend much time there till 1610. He spent ... last years of his life in it.
ОБУЧАЮЩИЙ МОДУЛЬ 4.2
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 18.104.22.168 (0.014 с.)