ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
The University of Edinburgh.
TheUniversity of Edinburgh, founded in 1583, is now one of the largest universities in Great
Britain. It is grouped on three main sites. Around Old College and George Square, adjacent to the Old Town of Edinburgh, are the faculties of Arts, Law, Medicine, Music and Social Sciences. The Faculty of Divinity is also in the Old Town, close to the Castle. Two miles to the south from the King’s Buildings is the location of the Faculty of Science, while the principle students’ residences are located some 20 minutes walk from both George Square and the King’s Buildings. Veterinary Medicine is at Summerhall, not far from George Square, with a Field Station at Easter Bush, 7 miles from the city centre.
While offering undergraduate courses in virtually all subjects taught at university level, the University is one of the major research centres in Britain, and as such, offers unparalleled opportunities to the postgraduate student. On account of its present size and the reputation, which it has risen up over the centuries in all fields of study, and because of its location in a city, which is a centre of government and commerce, the University is an exceptional centre at which to conduct research. At present here are about 3, 000 postgraduate students studying alongside some 9, 700 undergraduates. The students come from some 90 countries around the world.
Many research centres and units are established within and in association with the University. The European Institute, which collaborates with departments in Arts, Law and Social Sciences, is an instance. There are also research organizations sited in and around Edinburgh with which the University has close working relations, such as the Royal Observatory for Scotland. Standing on Blackford Hill, adjacent to the King’s Buildings, is a laboratory of the Science and Engineering Research Council, which accommodates the University’s Department of Astronomy. The King’s Building is also the base of the Edinburgh University Computing Service which provides the University community with very powerful computing service, whilst, separately, offering computing services for the universities of central Scotland on a network basis.
While it has long enjoyed an international reputation for academic excellence in the traditional subjects of study, in recent years the University offers a range of studies in the latest disciplines. In the sciences, it deals with major developments in microelectronics, biotechnology and computer-based disciplines such as Artificial Intelligence. In the arts it houses Linguistics as well as the School of Scottish Studies.
It is a great advantage in any area of study to have ready access to a wide-ranging and well-maintained collection of library material. The University Library is one of the largest university collections in Britain. Rich in rare books, manuscripts and maps, and well provided with modern texts, it now contains over two million items. The catalogue of the whole library is steadily being converted to machine-readable form, which maybe accessed via the usual national and international online networks.
Translate the sentences into Russian in written form. Put down the numbers of the sentences, which correspond to the context.
Переведите предложения на русский язык письменно. Укажите номера предложений, которые соответствуют содержанию текста.
1. The University of Edinburgh was founded in the 15th century.
2. The University consists of 8 faculties, which are grouped on three main sites.
3. Being one of the main research centres in Great Britain, it attracts students from many countries of the world.
4. About 9, 700 postgraduates carry out their work in many research centres established within the University.
5. The University has close working relations with research organizations in Scotland.
6. The University offers courses in the traditional subjects of study.
7. The University library is considered to be one of the largest in Britain and contains over two million items.
Put all types of questions to the next sentences.
Поставьте все типы вопросов к следующим предложениям, обозначьте тип вопроса.
1. Many research centres and units are established within and in association with the University.
2. The students come from some 90 countries around the world.
Answer the questions on the text.
Ответьте на вопросы по тексту.
1. When was the University founded?
2. How many parts does the University consist of? Name them in a short way.
3. Why does it attract students from all over the world?
4. What does the Edinburgh University Computing Service provide with?
5. There are a lot of rare books and manuscripts at the University library, aren’t there?
Give a short summary of the text (10 –15 sentences).
Напишите краткую аннотацию текста на английском языке (не более 10 – 15 предложений). Соблюдайте правила написания аннотаций, используя необходимые вводные слова и выражения (см. Гл. IV).
Курс 3 семестр
Контрольная работа №3
Put the adverbs and prepositions in the right place.
Поставьте наречия и предлоги в соответствующее место в предложении.
1. (just) He has said something about it. 2. (already) They have learnt the rule. 3. (“for” or “since”) I have not been to Minsk ... last year. 4. (just) The play has begun. You are a little late. 5. (“for” or “since”) Mr. Count has worked as a solicitor ... twenty five years. 6. (yet) I haven’t seen him. 7. (ever) Has he told us of his good fortune?
Put the verb in brackets into the Present Perfect Tense.
Раскройте скобки, употребляя глагол в Present Perfect.
1. You ever (to play) any musical instrument? 2. Who just (to phone) you? 3. They already (to have) breakfast. 4. They (not, to finish) their work yet. 5. I (to speak) with my father today. 6. She already (to have) two cups of coffee this morning.
Open the brackets using the Present Perfect or the Past Indefinite Tenses.
Раскройте скобки, употребляя формы Present Perfect или Past Indefinite.
1. He (to visit) that place last year. 2. You ever (to spend) your holidays in the Crimea? 3. I never (to be) to Moscow. 4. She (to be) abroad five years ago. 5. When you (to get) this wonderful ring? – I don’t remember. I (to have) it for years. 6. We (to go) to the country yesterday. 7. He (to leave) the room a moment ago.
Put the verb into the most suitable form, the Past Perfect or the Past Indefinite Tense.
Поставьте глагол в Past Perfect или Past Indefinite.
1. When they (to enter) the hall, the performance already (to begin). 2. They (to finish) the translation by five o’clock. 3. Margaret was late for work. Her friend (to be) surprised. She never (to be) late before. 4. He (to come) home by six o’clock yesterday. 5. Ann (to tell) me that she (to buy) that book in the street. 6. She hoped I (to pay) for the tickets.
Use the correct tense form (Indefinite, Continuous, Perfect Tenses) .
Используйте нужную видо-временную форму (Indefinite, Continuous, Perfect).
1. She looks fresh. She (to have) a rest. 2. It (to be) dark when we (to come) home. 3. The growth of the power of the Cabinet (to bring) about a fundamental change. 4. We (to go) to the seaside every summer. 5. She (to talk) to the boss at the moment. 6. I came a minute late. The train just (to leave).
Translate into English.
Переведите на английский язык.
1. Когда он вошёл в зал, фильм уже начался. 2. Она прекрасно говорит по-английски. 3. Колумб открыл Америку в 1492. 4. Британская делегация уже приехала? 5. Он пойдёт в библиотеку завтра.
Choose the right variant of the adjective or adverb.
Выберите правильный вариант прилагательного или наречия.
1. You know him (good, better, best) than anyone else. 2. My dog soon became (clever, cleverer, the cleverest) of all. 3. Oxford Road is not so (pretty, prettier, prettiest) as Walnut Street. 4. The colder the weather gets, (sicker, the sicker) I feel.
5. Maggy plays the piano (good, well). 6. The dog looked at the meat (hungry, hungrily) 7. The poor puppy looked (hungry, hungrily). 8. Ben won (easy, easily).
Match the opposites.
Составьте пары антонимов.
Translate into English.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-04-07; Нарушение авторского права страницы
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 188.8.131.52 (0.005 с.)