Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
PAST PERFECT SIMPLE AND PROGRESSIVE.
1. USE THE PAST PERFECT TENSE :
Example: Why didn’t you go to the cinema with us? (see that film) Because I had seen that film before.
1. Why didn’t you see Vasya? ( leave)
2. Why didn’t you tell him my address? (forget)
3. What did you learn about Petya? (get married)
4. Why did you come back so soon from your holiday? (spend all money)
5. Why couldn’t you get into your flat? (lose the key)
6. Why was Kate so happy yesterday? ( pass her exam)
7. Why didn’t you laugh at the anecdote? (hear it before)
8. Why didn’t you work at the factory any more? (find a better job)
9. What did you hear about Helen? (be ill for a month)
10. Why didn’t they live in Moscow any longer? (move to Lipetsk)
11. Why were you late for classes? ( stuck in a traffic jam)
12. Why couldn’t you answer the question? (not revised for the exam)
13. Why was your mother worried? ( not phone for a long time)
14. Why was Tom hungry? ( not eat all day)
15. Why was Fred’s father angry? ( crash his car)
2 .READ THE SITUATIONS AND EXPLAIN THEM USING PAST PERFECT :
1. You went to your friend’s yesterday, but he wasn’t there. (he / go / out)
2. You went back to your home town after graduating from the Academy. It wasn’t the same as before. (it / change / a lot)
3. You invited me for a party but I couldn’t come. (I / arrange / to do something else)
4. You went to the cinema last night and was late. (the film / already / begin)
5. You were very happy to see your groupmates after holidays. (you/ not see/ them / for 2 months)
6. You offered Fedya a pie, but he wasn’t hungry. (he / just / have / breakfast)
7. Your grandparents didn’t work when you were born. (they / retire / long before)
8. You visited a friend of yours and found his house larger. (he / build / the 3rd store)
9. You went to the USA last month for the first time. (you / never / be / there / before)
10. You play tennis yesterday for the first time and weren’t very good. (you / not play / it / before)
3. A) READ THE SENTENCES AND PUT NUMBERS AFTER EACH ACTION TO SHOW THE ORDER IN WHICH THEY HAPPENED:
Example: I went to bed (3) after I’d had a bath (1) and brushed my teeth (2).
1. When I arrived at John’s house ( ), he had made a cake ( ), and done the washing up.
2. My stomachache disappeared ( ) after I had taken some medicine.
3. When I got to the theatre ( ), the play had started ( ), and all the seats had been taken ( ).
4. Tom had supper ( ), then went to his living room ( ). He felt unhappy ( ). It had been an awful day( ).
5. Tom sat in his armchair ( ) and thought about the day ( ). He had got up late ( ), and then in the evening, his girlfriend had left him ( ). He decided it was time to go to bed ( ).
B) REWRITE THE FOLLOWING SITUATIONS, BEGINNING WITH THE UNDERLINED SENTENCE:
Example: Somebody broke into the office during the night. We arrived at work in the morning and called the police.
We arrived at work in the morning and found that somebody had broken into the office during the night. So we called the police.
1. Gerry went out. I tried to phone him. There was no answer.
2. Ann came back from holiday a few days ago. I met her the same day. She looked very well.
3. Kevin wrote to Sally many times, but she never replied him. Yesterday she called him. He was very surprised.
4. Maria didn’t visit her hometown for many years. At last she arrived to see her old friends. They told her a lot of news.
5. Petya didn’t eat all the day. He was very hungry. When he came home, he ate everything he found in the fridge.
4. REWRITE THE SENTENCES, USING the words in THE brackets:
Example: I had a bath. I went to bed. (after)
After I had had a bath, I went to bed.
1. He passed his driving test. He bought a car. (as soon as)
2. I took the book back to the library. I finished reading it. (when)
3. I didn’t go to bed. I did my homework. (until)
4. We spent all money. We went home. (after)
5. She read the book. She saw the film. (before)
6. The sun rose. He woke up. (before)
7. The snow was very deep. It snowed heavily. (after)
8. I drove to the airport. The plane took off. (when)
9. We didn’t say a word. He finished his story. (till)
10. He died. He was very ill. (before)
11. She read the message carefully. She wrote the reply. (before)
12. They went to England. They left school. (after)
13. I went for a holiday. I passed my exams. (after)
14. He didn’t start eating. He washed his hands. (until)
15. I arrived in Voronezh. I called my friends. (as soon as)
5. OPEN THE BRACKETS USING PAST PERFECT OR PAST SIMPLE :
1. She (go) for a holiday after she (pass) her exams. 2. When I (get) to the cinema, the film already (start). 3. She (fell) sick after she (eat) a whole box of chocolates. 4. After she (lock) all the doors, she (go) to bed. 5. When we (come) back, the telegram already (arrive). 6. Was Tom at the party when you (arrive)? – No, he (go) home. 7. The house (be) very quiet when I got home. Everybody (go) to bed. 8. Sorry, I’m late. The car (break) down on my way here. 9. We were driving along the road when we (see) a car, that (break) down, so we (stop) to help. 10. I (thank) her for everything she (do) for me. 11. When I got to the Academy, I (realize) that I (forget) to lock my house. 12. I (take) my family to Voronezh last year. I (be) there as a student, so I (know) my way around. 13. He (be) a porter before he (become) a businessman. 14. I (fell) a little better after I (take) the medicine. 15. I was late. The teacher already (give) a quiz when I (get) to the class. 16. We (have) a good rest after all our guests (leave). 17. By the time we (come), the party (finish). 18. Yesterday I (see) Pam, who I (not see) for ages. At first, I (not recognize) her, because she (lose) at least 50 pounds. 19. It was raining hard, but by the time the lesson (be) over, the rain (stop). 20. Millions of years ago dinosaurs (roam) the earth but they (become) extinct by the time humankind first (appear).
6. MAKE UP SENTENCES USING PAST PERFECT PROGRESSIVE :
Example: You came home. Your sister was watching TV.
(she / not do / any work) – She hadn’t been doing any work.
1. Husband and wife came home with angry faces.
(they / quarrel / on the way home)
2. There was nobody in the flat but there was a smell of cigarettes.
(somebody / smoke / there)
3. Mary closed her eyes. She felt very tired.
(she / read / too long)
4. You came home from a party. You were nearly dropping on your feet.
(you / dance / all night)
5. When I came up to my computer I noticed something wrong.
(somebody / use / it)
6. Tom was exhausted when he got home.
(he / work / hard / all day)
7. The boys came back from the stadium. They had a football and were both very tired.
(they / play / since morning)
8. I woke up in the middle of the night from my own cry.
(I / dream / a nightmare)
9. When we came home, a tasty dinner was waiting for us.
( surely /mother / cook / it / for a long time)
10. Finally, my room was clean. It took long to tidy it up.
(I / clean / it / since 10 a.m.)
7. READ THE SITUATIONS AND COMPLETE THE SENTENCES :
Example: I started on my journey. After an hour a tyre went flat.
I had been driving for an hour when a tyre went flat.
1. The lecturer began to speak. After 15 minutes the dean came in.
The lecturer________for 15 minutes when_____________ .
2. My friend went to work in America in 1999. Two years later there was a terroristic act.
My friend__________for two years when________________ .
3. We played tennis yesterday. Half an hour we began playing, it started to rain.
We_______________for half an hour when________________ .
4. I had arranged to meet Vasya at the café. I arrived and waited for him. After 40 minutes I realized
that I was in the wrong café.
I _______________for 40 minutes when I_________________ .
5. Petya was late, as usual. The lesson started 25 minutes ago.
When Petya___________, the lesson______________for 25 minutes.
8. OPEN THE BRACKETS USING :
A) PAST PERFECT OR PAST PERFECT PROGRESSIVE :
1. Mary was sitting on the ground. She was out of breath. She (run) . 2. When I came home, mother already (cook) dinner. 3. I was very tired, because I (work) all day without a brake. 4. Who told you that I had stolen the money? I even (not see) it! 5. I was sad when I sold my car. I (have) it for a long time. 6. We (talk) for 15 minutes when Fedya came up. 7. I wasn’t satisfied until I (do) everything I had to. 8. He (not eat) since nine that morning and his stomach was growling with hunger. 9. The guests (go). So we could have rest. 10. Kate didn’t go for a walk until she (do) her homework. 11. We (watch) TV until there left nothing to watch. 12. I was extremely tired at the end of the journey. I (travel) for more than 24 hours. 13. I was ready for the exam. I (revise) everything I had to. 14. We were good friends. We (know) each other for a long time. 15. What else did the teacher want from me? I already (answer) all his questions!
B) PAST PROGRESSIVE OR PAST PERFECT PROGRESSIVE :
1. It was noisy next door. Our neighbours (have) a party. 2. Tom and I (go) for a walk. I had difficulty keeping up with him because he (walk) so fast. 3. When I arrived, Kate (wait) for me. She was very angry because I was late and she (wait) for a very long time. 4. Jim was on his hands and knees on the floor. He (look) for his contact lens. 5. Garry was annoyed all the day. He (sleep) badly during the night. 6. When I arrived, everybody was sitting round the table with their mouths full. They (eat). 7. Her swimming suit was wet. She (swim). 8. He came into the kitchen. His parents stopped talking. They (talk) about him. 9. When I entered the room, Dan was at his desk. He (write). 10. We (work) with the computer when Fred came. 11. I could hear music coming through the window. Somebody (play) the piano. 12. Sue (live) in Paris when the war began. 13. She (get) ready for her exam all the evening and was very tired when finished. 14. We (go) to London last summer when we suddenly met Andrew. 15. I (phone) you all the day, but there was nobody at home.
C) PAST SIMPLE, PAST PROGRESSIVE, PAST PERFECT OR PAST PERFECT PROGRESSIVE:
1. Sue (give) up smoking by the time she (be) 30. 2. I (watch) TV until late. 3. First he (take) shower and then (dress). 4. They (get) on the plane at the last minute. 5. Since I was a child, I always (want) to visit Australia and I finally (go) there last year. 6. by the time he (finish) speaking, the audience (fall) asleep. 7. Bill (wait) until I (arrive). 8. I never (see) him before. 9. Dan (try) to find a job when I first (meet) him. 10. When she (tell) me the truth she (feel) better. 11. Until he (try) water skiing, he (not believe) how difficult it (be). 12. They (not hear) the attacker until it (be) too late. 13. It (snow) when I (get) up this morning. 14. Nobody (know) where she (go). 15. Fiona (be) a successful model before she (become) a teacher. 16. Paul (eat) so much chocolate, that his trousers (not fit) him any more. 17. Sandra (phone) her friend Polly, who just (return) from her holiday. 18. She (wait) for an hour when I finally (arrive). 19. Two years ago, when I (work) in Paris, my grandfather (die). 20. I (not think) of having a birthday party, but now I am glad I (have) one.
9. RESTORE THE SENTENCES, USING ONLY PAST TENSES :
1. the programme / the phone / yesterday. 2. after / I / lunch / friend. 3. she / before / he / Academy. 4. I / cousin / 5 years / when. 5. they / just / dinner / police. 6. they / for an hour / when / storm. 7. it / heavily / that / we / couldn’t go out. 8. for 5 minutes / until / I. 9. teacher / before / I / anything. 10. she / plaster / because / leg. 11. in the park / the rain / last week. 12. test / the bell / last lesson. 7. before / they / we / everything. 14. he / soup / then / tea.
10. CORRECT THE MISTAKES IF ANY :
1. Tom was tired as he had studied all day. 2. He opened the door and a woman ha been standing there. 3. When I looked out of the window it had been rain. 4. The house was much smaller than he thought at first. 5. He had made tea and ate the cake. 6. the glass was empty, somebody had drank the wine. 7. It was so sudden that no one knew what happened. 8. She said she didn’t know if they got married. 9. There was a smell of cigarettes in the empty room, somebody was smoking in it. 10. She put aside the book she had read. 11. Did you see the article she had written? 12. He didn’t even ask where I was. 13. I have been working at the factory before I entered the Academy. 14. I didn’t go to bed until I hadn’t finished my course-paper. 15. When I returned from the army, she had been still waiting for me.
11. A) YOU RETURNED HOME AFTER MANY YEARS AND FOUND THAT MANY THINGS WERE DIFFERENT. DESCRIBE WHAT HAD HAPPENED.
Example: Most of my friends were no longer there. They had left for different cities.
1. My best friend was no longer single. 2. I didn’t recognize our puppy. 3. ….was no longer a teacher. 4. My younger sister……. . 5. My parents………. . 6. My neighbour………. . 7. Our car…….. .
8………… . 9. ………… . 10. ………….. .
B) A DAY IN YOUR LIFE. WAS IT HAPPY OR NOT? WHY?
Fill in the table, thinking of the mood of your family and what had caused it. Use Past Perfect.
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 220.127.116.11 (0.01 с.)