ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
Word combination you may need
deserve to get a promotion - заслуживать повышения по службе
Exercise 139. Put the verbs in brackets into the past perfect continuous.
1. She (study) English for two years before she got this job.
2. - What the children (do) before they went to bed?
- They (do) their homework for two hours.
3. We (wait) for three-and-a-half hours when John finally arrived. I wonder what he (do) all that time?
4. Bill (do) military service for eighteen months. Yesterday he returned home.
5. We (travel) for about four hours when I realized that something was wrong with one of the tyres.
6. We (sit) in the cafe for half an hour until the rain stopped.
7. He (work) in the garden, but he stopped when he saw us.
8. I couldn't drive to work because my sister (use) my car for a month and something was wrong with it.
9. They were very angry. They (try) to see you for two hours but you were not in.
10. I (listen) to her complaints all day before I dared to tell her what I really thought of it.
11. The girl (look for) her doll the whole morning before she found it in her bed.
12. How long you (do) this translation before you finished it?
13. Yesterday morning I got up and looked out of the window. The sun was shining brightly but the ground was wet. It (rain).
14. When the boys came into the room, their shoes were dirty. They (play) football in the yard.
15. I was very tired when I arrived home. I (work) hard all day.
16. We (play) tennis for about half an hour when it started to rain very heavily.
17. My father gave up smoking a year ago. He (smoke) for 30 years.
18. At last the bus came. I (wait) for 20 minutes.
19. My mother was sitting in the armchair watching TV-set. She was tired because she (clean) the house all evening.
20. I (repair) my car for two hours before it started raining.
21. He (serve) in the army for a year when the war broke out.
22. The travellers (walk) through the forest for an hour when they discovered that they had lost their way.
23. Ann's eyes ached because she (use) the computer all day long.
24. When he phoned, I (have) a piano lesson for half an hour.
25. The children were happy. They (swim) in the pool for a long time.
26. The company went bankrupt, it (lose) money for months but they didn't manage to do anything.
Exercise 140. Read a situation and then write a sentence.
Model: The two boys came into the house. One had a black eye and the other had a cut lip. They (fight). - They had been fighting.
1. Tom was watching television. He was feeling very tired, (he/study/hard all day.) 2. When I walked into the room, it was empty. But there was a smell of cigarettes, (somebody/smoke/in the room.) 3. When Mary came back from the beach, she looked very red from the sun. (she/lie/in the sun too long.) 4. The two boys came into the house. They had a football and they were both very dirty, (they/play/football.) 5. Ann woke up in the middle of the night. She was frightened and she didn't know where she was. (she/dream.) 6. She spoke English well when she visited Canada. (she/study/English/for five years.) 7. I wrote to the firm regularly, but they still didn't answer, (for months.) 8. We were cooking for the party. By 8 o'clock we still weren't ready, (all day.) 9. The machine was still working when I got in. (my mother/do the washing.) 10. The children were doing their homework. But by 10 o'clock they still hadn't finished, (since/ they/come home/from school.) 11. I knew you (paint). - How did you know? - Your hair was covered with paint. 12. You were out of breath when you came in this morning, (you/run?)
Exercise 141. Choose the proper tense form: the past simple, past continuous, past perfect continuous or past perfect.
1. I (talk) over the phone when they brought me the letter.
В had talked
С had been talking
D was talking
2. They (sit) in the room when the taxi arrived.
В had sat
С had been sitting
D were sitting
3. He quickly forgot everything he (learn) at school.
В had learnt
С had been learning
D was learning
4. I visited Brazil in April. I (stay) at a nice hotel for a fortnight.
В had stayed
С had been staying
D was staying
5. I (stay) at the hotel for a fortnight when I received your letter
В had stayed
С had been staying
D was staying
6. The musician (play) the piano for a whole hour when we came in.
В had played
С had been playing
D was playing
7. Alice closed the magazine and rose from the sofa on which she (lie) for more than two hours.
В had lain
С had been lying
D was lying
8. A man (be) unconscious for a few minutes when an ambulance arrived.
В had been
С had being
9. We (walk) along a forest road for two hours when we saw a house.
В had walked
С had been walking
D were walking
10. I (talk) over the phone for a whole hour when the porter knocked at the door.
В had talked
С had been talking
D was talking
11. I hardly (finish) speaking with a porter when the phone rang again.
В had hardly finished
С had been finishing
D was finishing
12. First I (answer) the phone, and then I read your letter.
В had answered
С had been answering
D was answering
13. And I began writing to you instead of going to the seaside, as I (plan) before.
В had planned
С had been planning
D was planning
Exercise 142. Put the verb in brackets into the future simple.
1. He (be) here soon. 2. The dress (be) ready tomorrow. 3. They (be) at the station in time for the 10.30 train. 4. I (know) the result in a day. 5. I (be) twenty years old next year. 6. They (remember) you well. 7. When he (come) back? 8. When he comes, I (apologize) to him. 9. I (not see) this beautiful city again. 10. I (recognize) his pictures anywhere.
Exercise 143. Put the verb in brackets into the future simple.
2. I’m tired. I (go) to bed.
3. It's late. I think I (take) a taxi.
4. I (answer) the question?
5. We don't know their address. What (we / do)?
6. Our test (not/take) long.
7. I'm afraid they (not / wait) for us.
8. Diana (come) to the party tomorrow?
9. You (arrive) in Paris tomorrow evening.
10. The boy (remember) this day all his life.
11. Perhaps they (buy) a new house this year.
12. He (be) fourteen next year.
13. I'm not sure I (find) Jim at the hotel.
14. We (not/book) the tickets in advance.
15. Do you think it (rain)?
16. Everybody thinks they (not/get) married.
17. There (not/be) any wars in the world.
18. Dad (present) Mag a personal computer, _____ he?
19. ______ there (be) drugs for every kind of disease in 50 years' time?
Exercise 144. Put the verb in brackets into the future simple.
1. I want to get a medical checkup. I (to go) to my doctor tomorrow. 2, He (to give) me a complete examination. 3. The nurse (to lead) me into one of the examination rooms. 4. I (to take) off my clothes and (to put) on a hospital gown. 5. Dr. Setton (to come) in, (to shake) my hand, and (to say) "hello". 6. I (to stand) on his scale so he can measure my height and my weight. 7. He (to take) my pulse. 8. Then he (to take) my blood pressure. 9. After he takes my blood pressure, he (to take) some blood for a blood analysis. 10. He (to examine) my eyes, ears, nose and throat. 11. He (to listen) to my heart with a stethoscope. 12. Then he (to take) a chest X-ray and (to do) a cardiogram (EKG). 13. After the checkup I (to go) home and (to wait) for Dr. Setton's call. 14. Dr. Setton (to call) me tomorrow afternoon and (to say) to me: "Stop worring! Your blood analysis is excellent." He is a very good doctor.
Exercise 145. Put the verb in brackets into the future simple.
Тоmоrrow I (to go) to the University because it (to be) Sunday. My parents (not to be) at home. They (to go) to their friends, the Browns, who got a new flat last week. My father and mother (to go) to see it. I (to be) at home and (to stay) with my friends. I (to invite) my groupmates and we (to have) a good time. Sam (to bring) some discs and we (to listen) to music and (to dance). Who else (to come)? I think, I (to call) Mary and John. They (to be happy) to pay me a visit and to see Sam. I (to make) some tea but I (not to cook) dinner. In the evening we (to have dinner) at a restaurant. It (not to cost) us much because the restaurant is cheap. I think we (to order) some
light wine and (to take) something very delicious. It (to be) very exciting to spend time with my friends!
Exercise 146. Read the following situations about the future technological progress. Write sentences using future simple according to the model. Think of your own examples.
Model: Cars will run batteries. We won’t need petrol or diesel fuel.
* people use translation telephones – not learn foreign languages
* have electric walkways – not walk to school/ not take the bus – no pollution
* not go to school – use home computers – listen to lessons and see them on computer screen
* people not work – robots do everything
* secretaries not write letters and faxes by hand – speak into typing machines
Exercise 147. Put the questions to the following sentences. Use the words in brackets.
1. My sister will wear her new blouse. (When?) 2. Pat will go to the theater with Mary. (With whom?) 3. He will join us later. (Why?) 4. The waiter will be on the night shift. (Who?) 5. The children will be very tired after school. 6. She will cross the street. (Where?) 7. Tomorrow my parents will celebrate their wedding anniversary. (Where?) 8. His cousin will be back at 6 o'clock. (At what time?)
Exercise 148. Put the verbs in brackets into the present simple or future simple.
1. If it (to rain) we (not to leave) home. 2. Usually I (to ski) if (to be) enough snow. 3. I (to write) him about this event if you (to tell) me his address. 4.You to read English books if you (to study) English. 5.She (to see) her brother when he (to return) from England. 6. If he (to go) to the airport by car, he (to catch) a plane. 7.It is raining. As soon as we (to go) out we (to get) wet. 8. When mother (to go) shopping, she (to buy) some bread. 9. You (to worry) if your children (to be) late tonight? 10. Before
she (to go) out, she (to switch) off the light. 11. She (to recognize) him when she (to see) him again? 12. You (to phone) me after you (to come)?
Exercise 149. Put the verbs in brackets into the present, past or future simple.
1. Не (to turn) on the television to watch cartoons every morning. 2. He (to turn) on the television to watch cartoons yesterday morning. 3. He (to turn) on the television to watch cartoons tomorrow morning. 4.1 always (to go) to the Altai Mountains to visit my relatives there. 5. I (to be) very busy last summer and I (not to go) there. 6. I (not to go) there next year because it (to cost) a lot of money and I can't afford it. 7. They (to enjoy) themselves at the Symphony yesterday evening? 8. Who (to take) care of the child in the future? 9. How often you (to go) to the dentist's? 10. We (not to have) very good weather, but we still (to have) a good time during our short stay in London. 10. She (to do) all the washing in their house. 12. He even (not to know) how to use the washing machine. 13. Two years ago they (to be) rich and money (to be) never a problem. 14. You (to think) you (to be) happy in your new neighbourhood? 15. When the cabbage soup (to be) ready? 16. The customs officers at JFK airport in New York (to arrest) that young man when he (to arrive). 17. I (to like) to get on with my friends, so I often (to do) what they (to want). 18. When (to be) your birthday? 19. When you (to get) your watch? 20. Who (to create) Mickey Mouse?
Exercise 150. Put the verbs in brackets into the future continuous.
Model: At this time tomorrow I will be flying to Great Britain, (to fly)
1. At 7 o'clock tomorrow Tom ________ the football match on TV. (to watch)
2. I'm sorry, I won't come to you. I ______ a very difficult article from Russian into English. (to translate)
3. I hope you ______.when I come. (not, sleep)
4. Tomorrow we will be absolutely free. We _______ (not, work) the whole day.
5. What _______ you _______ from 10 till 12 tomorrow? (to do)
6. Don't phone her tomorrow at 6. She _______ her part from the future play. (to learn)
7. If you want to see us, come to my place at 6. We ________. for you there. (to wait)
8. I know he __________ us adventurous stories the whole lesson. (to tell)
9. No, I'll be busy at this time. I _______ food formy party. (to cook)
10. Tomorrow evening they _________ to the U SA by plane. (to travel)
Exercise 151. Answer the questions in the future continuous, using the given suggestions.
Model: What will he be doing tomorrow afternoon? (drive to the seaside)
He will be driving to the seaside.
1. What will she be doing on Sunday? (make a dress)
2. What will you be doing at this time next week? (bathe in the Black Sea)
3. What will grandfather be doing when we arrive? (work in the garden)
4. What will he be doing at the University for five years? (study law)
5. What will they be doing at this time tomorrow? (fly to Kiev)
6. What will she be doing at the concert tonight? (sing Russian folk-songs)
7. What will he be doing at this time the day after tomorrow? (interview a foreign delegation).
8. What will she be doing next term? (lecture at the Institute of Foreign Languages)
Exercise 152. Extend the statements in the future continuous tense, using the words in brackets.
Model: Don't call for me at six. (have a bath)
Don't call for me at six, I shall be having a bath.
1. Don't ring them up at seven in the morning, (sleep)
2. Don't send us any letters in June, (travel)
3. Don't call on us tonight, (pack)
4. Don't come to see her after lunch, (type)
5. Don't leave the child alone, (cry)
6. Don't tell Granny about it. (grumble)
7. Don't expect him to come next Saturday, (work)
8. Don't wait for Maggie tomorrow, (keep to her room)
Exercise 153. Answer the questions:
1. What will you be doing on Sunday?
2. Will you be doing your homework the whole evening tomorrow?
3. Will you go to Institute tomorrow?
4. Will you be going to Institute at 8.15 tomorrow morning?
5. What will your mother be doing when you come from Institute tomorrow?
6. What will you do tomorrow?
7. What will you be doing at this time next week?
8. Where will you go next Sunday?
9. What will you be doing from 10 in the evening till seven in the morning?
10.Will you be reading a book at 12 tomorrow night?
Exercise 154. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense form.
1. I'm going on holiday. This time next week I (lie) on a beach or (swim) in the sea.
2. Don't phone me between 7 and 8. We (have) dinner then.
3. At 9 o'clock tomorrow he (be) in his office. He (work).
4. If you see Tim, can you ask him to phone me? - Sure. I (see) him at work, so I'll tell him then.
5. You (pass) the post office when you're out? - Probably. Why? -1 need some stamps. Could you buy me some?
6. What you (do) this time next week? - I (work). It'll be Saturday. I always work on Saturdays. - You (work) all day? -1 (work) till 5 o'clock.
7. Do you think he still (do) the same job after he (defend) his thesis?
8. If you need to contact Mr Green, he (stay) at the Lion Hotel until next Friday.
9. The children (stay) with their grandparents in the country for the next summer holidays.
10. I (see) him at the club tomorrow - he is usually there when I come.
11. Your stars say that this time tomorrow you (do) something you have never done in your life.
12. On Saturday there is no class. So next Saturday the children (not sit) in the classroom listening to the teacher. They (do) some other things. Ben (play) tennis and Ann (watch) all films on TV. When
their parents come from work, the children (sleep).
13. I (revise) for my exams this weekend so I'll stay in on Sunday night.
14. Where you (stay) while you are in England? - At my friends !
15. Do you think you (do) anything interesting in five years' time?
16. She hopes she (earn) a lot of money as soon as she (receive) her degree.
17. Please note that we (hold) today's meeting in Room 20 and not in Room 19. Try not to be late.
18. You (see) either John or Jean tomorrow, by any chance. Ask them to call me tomorrow evening.
Exercise 155. Put the verbs in brackets into the future continuous or future simple.
1. This time tomorrow they (sit) in the train on their way to Chicago.
A will sit
В will be sitting
2. I (be) at home if you need anything.
A will be
В will being
3. Don't phone Jim from 5 to 6 - he (have) English.
A will have
В will be having
4. Why are you in a hurry? If you arrive at 8 o'clock, they (still/cook) the meal.
A will still cook
В will still be cooking
5. He (come) at eight in the evening.
A will come
В will be coming
6. ... you (have lunch) with me on Friday?
A Will you have lunch
В Will you be having lunch
7. I'm not sure I'll recognize Eve. I haven't seen her for ages. She (wear) a dark blue pullover and jeans.
A will wear
В will be wearing
Exercise 156. Read the sentences and analyze the tenses.
1. We shall have left by the time you arrive. 2. They will have repaired your car by then. 3. The decorator will have painted the room by Tuesday. 4. I'll already have done the work by the time you come back. 5. I still won't have finished reading the book by four o'clock. 6. He will have left by now. 7. Will you have written the essay by tomorrow? 8. We shall have arranged everything by that time.
Exercise 157. Put the verbs in brackets into the future perfect.
1. By the time he arrives they (leave).
2. She is ill now. By the first of April she (be in hospital for three weeks).
3. He has bought this TV-set on credit. He (pay) all the money by the 21st of August.
4. How long has she stayed with your family? By the end of the month she (stay) for a month.
5. She has lived here a long time. By May she (live) for twenty years.
6. He is still a schoolboy, but by this time next year he (leave school).
7. We (finish) this exercise by 8 o'clock.
8. We are late. The lesson (start) by now.
9. They (build) the road by the end of the year.
10. I forgot to ask a neighbour to look after the plants while we're away on holiday! When we get home they all (die).
11. By the end of my university course I (attend) 1,200 lectures.
12. When you come back I (finish) all the housework.
13. In a fortnight's time we (take) our exam.
14. I (finish) this book by tomorrow evening.
15. By this time tomorrow we (have) our injections.
16. By the end of next year I (be) here for twenty-five years.
17. I'll still be here next summer but Tom (leave).
18. I (finish) this job in twenty minutes.
19. By next winter they (build) four houses in that field.
20. At the rate he is going he (spend) all his money by the time he is twenty-one.
21. The train (leave) before we reach the station.
22. If I continue with my diet I (lose) 10 kilos by the end of the month.
23. By the time that he leaves school his parents (spend) £25,000 on his education.
24. By the end of the term I (read) all twelve volumes.
25. I'm going to Hyde Park to hear the people making speeches. - You'll be too late. By the time you get there they (finish) their speeches and everybody (go) home.
Exercise 158. Answer the questions in the future perfect, using the words in brackets.
Model: Will you still be busy if I call you at six? (finish)
Oh, no, we will have finished by that time.
1. Will they still be staying at the hotel tomorrow? (move to their new house)
2. Will you be discussing the plan at 2 o'clock? (make a decision)
3. Will your students be writing a test at ten in the morning? (finish)
4. Will your brother still be a student next autumn? (graduate)
5. Will you still remember me in five years? (forget)
6. Will he be at home on Saturday? (leave for Scotland)
7. Will she be expecting your call tomorrow morning? (receive my letter)
8. Will you be having a lesson when I come home? (go to the swimming-pool)
Exercise 159. John is taking some New Year resolutions. He is determined to do everything he has planned. Say what he will have done by next year.
Model: I am going to buy a new car. — John will have bought a new car by next year.
I am going to:
1. lose 10 kilos 2. give up smoking 3. finish my thesis 4. find a better job 5. buy some new furniture 6. take a course in creative writing 7. redecorate my apartment 8. read twenty Italian books in the original 9. change my hair style 10. save $3000 for a holiday abroad.
Exercise 160. Use the given verbs in the future perfect.
Mary is very ambitions. These are the things she believes she will have done by the time she's forty. Write down about the things you'll have done by the time you are thirty.
Model: buy a Rolls Royce I'll have bought a Rolls Royce.
1. become a multi-millionaire
2. have my own computer business
3. move to California
4. buy a mansion in Beverly Hills
5. join a highly exclusive tennis club
6. marry a handsome actor
7. earn over $2,000,000
8. give up smoking
9. have two children
10. learn Japanese
Exercise 161. Answer the questions using the future perfect.
Model: Has he spent the money his father left him? (he lives so extravagantly, by next year).
- Not yet, but he lives so extravagantly that he'll have spent it all by next year.
1. Has he already returned? (by the end of the month).
2. Has she ended her lecture-tour? (by the end of the week).
3. Have they finished their preliminary training? (in two months' time).
4. Have you done your packing? (come back in an hour, by then).
5. Have you taken your exams? (by the end of December).
6. Have they built any houses in that area? (by next winter, four houses).
7. Have you filed all the copies? (by the end of the working day, all of them).
8. Have all the guests come? (by the time you get there, all of them).
9. Have the children come home from school? (they, before she leaves for work).
10. Have you finished the report? (by the end of the day).
Exercise 162. Translate the following sentences into English.
1. Завтра к двум часам мы уже сдадим все экзамены. 2. К тому времени, как вы вернетесь, я уже уеду. 3. Если вы позвоните в восемь часов, то они еще не приедут. 4. Они надеются, что отремонтируют квартиру к осени. 5. Мы напишем статью к утру, но мы не закончим иллюстрации. 6. Я закончу школу к лету. 7. Надеюсь, что я найду работу к концу года. 8. Мы уверены, что узнаем новости к вечеру. 9. Если вы придете до девяти часов утра, то они еще не уйдут. 10. Она уже накроет на стол до того, как придут гости.
Exercise 163. Choose either the future perfect or future simple.
1. Julia (finish) all the housework by three o'clock and we'll go for a walk.
A will finish
В will have finished
2. I promise I (get) in touch with you if I need your help.
A will get
В will have got
3. We are going to buy a car. By the end of next month our family (save) money for it.
A will save
В will have saved
4. The workers say that they (build up) a district by the beginning of 2014.
A will build up
В will have built up
5. He probably never (be) patient.
A will probably never be
В will probably never have been
6. She (have lunch) by the time we arrive.
A will have
В will have had
Exercise 164. Look through the notes about the building of a new hotel and leisure complex. Say what will be happening and what will have happened at each of the times below.
1. In May, we will be clearing the site and laying the foundations.
2. By the end of June, we will have cleared the site and laid the foundations.
3. In August, we __________________________________________
4. By the end of September, _________________________________
5. In November,___________________________________________
6. By the end of December, __________________________________
7. In February, ____________________________________________
8. By the end of March, _____________________________________
9. By the middle of April, ___________________________________
Exercise 165. Look at the information. Then put the verbs into the right tense.
Exercise 166. Put the verbs in brackets into the future simple, future continuous or future perfect.
1. I (to do) my homework tomorrow. 2. I (to do) my homework at six o'clock tomorrow. 3. I (to do) my homework by six o'clock tomorrow. 4. Tomorrow I (to begin) doing my homework as soon as I come from school. I (to do) my homework from three till six. My father (to come) home at seven o'clock tomorrow. I (to do) all my homework by the time he comes, and we (to go) for a walk together. 5. When I come home tomorrow, my family (to have) supper. 6. When you come to my place tomorrow, I (to read) your book. I (to do) my homework by the time you come. 7. Don't come to my place tomorrow. I (to write) a composition the whole evening. 8. I (not to go) to the cinema tomorrow. I (to watch) TV the whole evening. 9. What you (to do) tomorrow? 10. What you (to do) at eight o'clock tomorrow? 11. You (to play) volleyball tomorrow? 12. You (to do) this work by next Sunday? 13. When you (to go) to see your friend next time? 14. How many pages you (to read) by five o'clock tomorrow?
Exercise 167. Choose the future simple, future perfect or future continuous.
1. He (sleep) when you come back tonight.
A will sleep
В will be sleeping
2. By the time I come they (go).
A will go
В will have gone
3. It is snowing heavily. Have you listened to the weather forecast for tomorrow?
-I hope it (stop) snowing by tomorrow morning.
A will stop
В will be stopping
С will have stopped
4. My sister (know) the result of her exam on economy in three days.
A will know
В will have known
С will be knowing
5. - Let's meet at the station at 5 o'clock.
- O.K. I (wait) for you there.
A will wait
В will be waiting
С will have waited
6. The work of the scientist (achieve) the proper acclaim.
A will achieve
В will have achieved
FUTURE PERFECT CONTINUOUS
Exercise 168. Analyze the tenses in the following conversation.
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 22.214.171.124 (0.005 с.)