ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
Ex.4. Imagine that you are a tour guide. Make an excursion about Orenburg for your groupmates.
Ex. 1. Complete these sentences withat, on, in:
1. Do you live ….. Manchester?
2. He was ….. the bus stop for half an hour.
3. Are the plates ….. the cupboard?
4. Look at the example ….. the blackboard.
5. I met my girlfriend ….. a party.
6. Kathy’s not here – she’s ….. work at the moment.
7. Are my books ….. that shelf?
8. My toothbrush isn’t ….. the bathroom. Where is it?
9. I usually go swimming ….. Tuesdays.
10. There are too many cars ….. the road.
11. We usually take our holiday ….. September.
12. They don’t go out very often ….. the evenings.
13. The children get too many presents ….. Christmas.
14. I got up ….. 7 o’clock this morning.
15. She was born ….. London ….. 1992.
Ex. 2. Complete the sentences using to, at, from, onto, on, off, into, in, or out off:
1. I got out ………. the bath when the phone rang.
2. I forgot to send a birthday card ………. Helen yesterday.
3. He was very tired when he got back ………. Australia.
4. We’re going to stay ………. a holiday apartment in Spain.
5. We stopped ………. the traffic lights and the car broke down.
6. He took all the toys ………. the box and left them ………. the floor.
7. Our friends met us ………. the airport when we arrived ………. Berlin.
8. He felt very hot and so he jumped ………. the beautiful clear water.
9. We took our lunch ………. the garden and ate it ………. the grass.
10. When I arrived, I carried my heavy bag all the way ………. the station ………. the hotel.
Ex. 3. Rewrite these sentences in the correct order:
Model: to the mountains / never / we / go – We never go to the mountains.
1. often / she / write to me / doesn’t
2. play football / the boys / always / on Sunday afternoons
3. late / usually / arrives / the bus
4. go / I / often / bed / to / before 11
5. never / coffee / in / drinks / she / the evening
6. it / in the summer / rain / often / doesn’t
7. slowly / I / always / books / read
8. by / my / usually / father / to / bus / goes / work
9. always / at / go / we / to / the beach / the weekend
Ex. 4. Complete the conversation, putting the verbs into the present continuous and completing the short answers witham, is, are (not):
- So what ………. (happen)? ………. (they/have) a party?
- Yes, they ……….
- And what ………. (they/do)?
- Well, a few of them ………. (dance).
- ………. (Mum and Dad/dance)?
- Yes, Mum ………. . But Dad ………. . He ………. (talk) to uncle Jack and they ………. (laugh) a lot.
- Is Aunty Linda there?
- Yes, she ………. . She ………. (dance) with Brian from next door.
- Oh, and Dad ………. (give) everyone a drink now.
- What ………. (they/drink)?
- Coffee, I think. And some of them ………. (drink) juice. Mum ………. (not/drink) anything.
- What ………. (they/eat)?
- Only crisps and nuts and some cheese.
- And we ………. (not/eat) anything. It’s not fair!
- But they think we ………. (sleep) upstairs.
- Oh, no, they don’t. They ………. (look) this way.
- I think Dad ………. (come) over here.
Ex. 5. Complete the conversation putting the verbs into the Present Continuous or Present Simple.
- Where ………. (you/come) from?
- Brazil. What about you? Where (you/come) from?
- Italy. I’m in London for one month.
- Yes, me too.
- ………. (you/like) it here in London?
- It’s very exciting but sometimes the people ………. (not/be) very friendly.
- ………. (you/stay) with English people?
- Yes. I ………. (stay) with an English family, but I ………. (not/see) them very often. They ………. (be) always busy.
- I ………. in a student hostel. That ………. (be) much better. There are many different nationalities and we all ………. (speak) English together.
- Oh, that’s good. And ………. (you/study) together in the hostel in the evenings?
- Yes, sometimes.
- ………. (that/be) your course book?
- Yes, I ………. (do) my homework.
- ………. (your teacher/give) you homework every day?
- Almost every day. What ………. (you/do)?
- I ………. (write) to my parents. I ………. (write) to them every week.
UNIT 5. RUSSIA
Read, translate and retell the text:
The Russian Federation is the largest country in the world. Its total area is about 17 million square kilometers. It occupies most of Eastern Europe and Northern Asia. Russia is bordered by Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Litva, Belarus, the Ukraine, Azerbaijan and China. Our land is washed by 12 seas, most of which are the seas of three oceans: the Arctic, the Atlantic and the Pacific.
There is hardly a country in the world where such a great variety of flora and fauna can be found as in our land. Our country hasnumerous forests, plains and steppes, taiga and tundra, highlands and deserts. Russian Federation is located on two plains, the Great Russian Plain and the West Siberian Lowland. The longest mountain chains are the Urals, the Caucasus and the Altai. Russia's most important rivers are the Volga, the main Siberian rivers and the Amur. The total number of rivers in Russia is over two million. The world's deepest lake – Lake Baikal, with the depth of 1600 meters, is situated in Russia, too. The climate in Russia varies from the arctic in the north to subtropical in the south. Russia is a highly-developed industrial and agricultural country. Its vast mineral resources include oil, natural gas, coal, iron, zinc, aluminum, gold and other non-ferrous metals.
The capital of the Russian Federation is Moscow, with the population of about 10 million people. The Russian Federation is a multinationalstate. It comprises many national districts, several autonomous republics and regions. The current population of Russia is about 150 million people.
Russia is a constitutional republic with president as Head of State. The legislative power is vested in the Federal Assembly, consisting of the Council of Federation and the State Duma.
ADD TO YOUR ACTIVE VOCABULARY:
to be bordered by – граничить с
to be located on – находиться, располагаться
Great Russian Plain – Великорусская равнина
West Siberian Lowland – Западносибирская низменность
depth – глубина
to vary – изменять, меняться
mineral resources – полезные ископаемые
non-ferrous metals – цветные металлы
legislative power – законодательная власть
to be vested in – передаваться
to consist – состоять
Ex. 1. Answer the questions:
1. What is the total area of the Russian Federation?
2. How many countries is Russia bordered by?
3. What oceans wash the borders of the Russian Federation?
4. Is the Russian Federation located on two plains?
5. What are the longest mountain chains?
6. The total number of rivers in Russia is over two million, isn’t it?
7. Are Russian flora and fauna various?
8. What is the climate inRussia like?
9. What is the current population of Russia?
10. What does the Federal Assembly consist of?
Ex. 2. Finish the sentences below using words from the text:
1. The Russian Federation is …
2. It occupies most of Eastern Europe and …
3. The longest mountain chains are …
4. The total number of rivers in Russia is …
5. The climate in Russia varies from the arctic …
6. Russia is a highly-developed industrial and …
7. The capital of the Russian Federation is …
8. Russia is a constitutional republic with …
Ex. 3. Translate from Russian into English
1. Российская Федерация занимает большую часть восточной Европы и северной Азии.
2. Россия граничит с восемью государствами, включая Финляндию, Латвию, Белоруссию, Китай и некоторые другие.
3. В Российской Федерации более двух миллионов рек. Самые крупные из них – Волга, Амур и реки Сибири.
4. Климат Российской Федерации меняется от арктического на севере до субтропического на юге.
5. Россия – высокоразвитая промышленная и сельскохозяйственная страна.
Ex. 4. Your English friend is planning a visit to Russia. Help him to choose where to go and what to see in our country. Work in pairs:
Ex. 5. How well do you know your Homeland? What is (are):
• the biggest Russian lake?
• the longest Russian river (in European and Asian parts of the Russian Federation)?
• a city with subtropical climate?
• cities with arctic climate?
• agricultural regions?
• old historical cities?
• places of recreation and tourism?
Moscow is the capital of Russia. It was founded by Prince Yury Dolgoruky in 1147. There is a monument to him in the very center of Moscow.
During the whole history of Russia Moscow has occupied the leading place in its cultural and political life. Now Moscow is a big industrial, cultural and political centre of the country. Moscow is the large educational and scientific center. Moscow University was founded by M. Lomonosov in the 18th century. It is the highest building in Moscow.
Moscow is beautiful. We admire its fine buildings, magnificent palaces, architectural monuments, beautiful green parks and squares. The centre of Moscow is the Red Square. One can see there St Basil's Cathedral, famous for its unique architecture and coloured domes.
The Moscow Kremlin is one of the world’s largest collections of historical and art treasures. Situated on the north bank of the Moskva River, it is the dominant landmark of Moscow. A stone wall up to 21 m in height surrounds this triangular complex of former palaces, cathedrals, and other monuments. The Great Kremlin Palace is the most imposing structure within the Kremlin. Other notable Kremlin palaces are the Granovitaya Palace (1491) and the Terem (1636).
The cultural life of the capital is very rich. There are plenty of cinemas, theatres, museums and art exhibitions here. We can see world famous pictures by Russian and foreign artists in the Tretyakov Gallery and in the Pushkin Art Museum. The Moscow underground is no doubt the best in the world. It is famous for its marble-walled stations.
Moscow is also called golden-domed because of a great number of churches and cathedrals with gilded domes, for example the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour, the Archangel Cathedral and the Cathedral of the Annunciation.
ADD TO YOUR ACTIVE VOCABULARY:
to found – основать
prince – князь
in the very centre – в самом центре
to occupy – занимать
leading – ведущий
educational – образовательный
century – столетие, век
to admire – восхищаться
magnificent – великолепный
art – искусство, художественный
treasure – сокровище
plenty of – много, множество
exhibition – выставка
underground – метрополитен
no doubt – без сомнения, несомненно
golden-domed – златоглавая
cathedral – собор
Ex.1. Answer the questions:
1. What is the capital of Russia?
2. Who was its founder?
3. Is Moscow an educational centre? Give some examples to prove it.
4. What places of interest do you know in Moscow?
5. Why can we say that its cultural life is very rich?
6. Can you name the main art galleries in Moscow?
7. What is the quickest means of transport in Moscow?
Ex.2. Translate the words and make up sentences with them:
a) art, artistic, artist, artificial, artful, artless;
b) to lead, leader, leading, leadership;
c) science, scientific, scientist.
Ex.3. Agree or Disagree. Read in pairs. Use the phrases:
You are right. I agree with you. – You are not right. You are mistaken.
1. Moscow was founded in 1743.
2. It was founded by Prince Yury Dolgoruky.
3. Now Moscow is a big sea resort.
4. Moscow University was founded by Peter 1.
5. Moscow University was founded in the 18th century.
6. The centre of Moscow is the tall Ostankino Tower.
7. The cultural life of the capital is very rich.
8. The Moscow underground is world-known.
9. We can see world famous pictures by Russian and foreign artists in the Great Kremlin Palace.
10. St Basil's Cathedral is a notable Kremlin cathedral.
Ex. 1. Write the following sentences in Past Continuous and Future Continuous adding necessary adverbs of time:
1. What’s his wife doing? 2. He is not packing his things. 3. Are you waiting for your friend? 4. Where are you hurrying to? 5. My friend is staying at a hotel. 6. She is talking to a friend of mine. 7. My daughter is having her French. 8. They are not smoking.
Ex. 2. Answer the following questions paying special attention to the Past Continuous and Future Continuous:
1. Were you doing your homework at 11 yesterday evening?
2. What will you be doing at 3 o’clock tomorrow?
3. Will you be hurrying home after classes?
4. Who were you talking to when I called you?
5. What were you talking about when I came in?
6. Do you know when you’ll be taking your exams this year?
7. Where will you be going for your holidays?
8. Where were you hurrying to when my friend met you?
Ex. 3. Complete the sentences, putting the verbs in the Past Simple or Past Continuous:
1. They ………. for me when I ………. at the station. (wait/arrive)
2. She ………. in the sea when I ………. her. (swim/see)
3. ………. they ………. tennis when it ………. raining. (play/start)
4. She ………. when she ………. the news. (cry/hear)
5. We ………. home from the theatre when the police ………. us. (drive/stop)
6. Everyone ………. quiet when the concert ………. . (go/begin)
7. When she ………. him, he ………. quite ill. (leave/become)
8. You ………. in a restaurant when I first ………. you. (work/meet)
9. I ………. very angry when I ………. the letter. (feel/read)
10. It ………. when I ………. . (rain/get up)
Ex. 4. Complete the sentences using the following prepositions:
1. Mario’s restaurant is ……… a travel agency.
2. There is a person ……… Mario’s restaurant.
3. There is a dog ……… the ladder.
4. A painter is climbing ……… a ladder.
5. Mario’s restaurant is ……… a hotel called The Red Lion.
6. Someone is running ……… the hotel.
7. There is a beautiful garden ……… the hotel.
8. There is a bus stop ……… the hotel.
9. Mario’s restaurant is ……… the hotel and the launderette.
10. There is a hairdresser’s ……… the launderette.
11. Someone is coming ……… the steps from the hairdresser’s.
12. There are a few people walking ……… the road.
13. Someone is pushing a pram ……… the road.
14. There is a car coming ……… the corner.
15. There is a plane flying ……… the town.
Ex. 5. Choose the correct words to complete the sentences:
1. We haven’t got some/any milk.
2. She arrived in/to Mexico at 2 o’clock.
3. It’s very cold tonight. I think it’s snowing/it’s going to snow soon.
4. Don’t walk/Not walk on the grass.
5. You play tennis very good/very well.
6. Thank you for telling me that. You’re honester/more honest than your brother is.
7. Alice and Mike stay/are staying in a hotel in Berlin this week.
8. I think I’m going to take that picture out off/off the wall.
Ex. 6. Write ten questions about a friend’s trip to London, using the table below. Then choose a short answer for each question:
UNIT 6. GREAT BRITAIN
Read, translate and retell the text:
Great Britain is situated on a group of islands lying off the north-west of Europe. The official title of the country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. It includes the following parts: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The British nation consists of the English, the Scots, the Welsh and the Irish. The United Kingdom is bordered to the south by the English Channel, which separates it from continental Europe, to the east by theNorth Sea, and to the west by the Irish Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. The only land border is between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The total area of the United Kingdom is 242 km².
The climate of Great Britain is mild and damp. This is because of the west winds which often blow from the ocean. They keep the weather cool in summer and warm in winter. Rain and fog are rather common things in Great Britain, especially in autumn and in winter. In general the weather is rather changeable and every Englishman wishes it to be more stable.
Great Britain is one of the most highly developed industrial countries in the world. Great Britain is a constitutional monarchy – a kingdom. But the King’s or Queen’s power is limited by Parliament. Parliament consists of two Houses: the House of Lords and the House of Commons.
There are two main parties in Great Britain: the Conservative Party and the Labour Party. London is the capital of Great Britain.
The population of United Kingdom is more than 56 mln people, but it is one of the world's leading commercial and industrialized nations.
ADD TO YOUR ACTIVE VOCABULARY:
island – остров
north-west – северо-запад
English Channel – пролив Ла-Манш
separate – отделять
border – граница
between – между
mild – мягкий, умеренный
because of – из-за, благодаря
fog – туман
changeable – изменчивый
kingdom – королевство
power – власть
limit – ограничивать
House – здание, палата
Labour Party– Лейбористская партия
Ex.1. Answer the questions:
1. Where is Great Britain situated?
2. What parts does it include?
3. How is it separated from the continent?
4. What is the total area of the United Kingdom?
5. What is the population of the United Kingdom?
6. How can you describe the climate and the weather in Great Britain?
7. What is the form of ruling in the country?
8. What is the King’s or Queen’s power limited by?
9. Will you name the main parties in Great Britain?
10. What is the capital in Great Britain?
Ex.2. Give antonyms to the following words:
North, west, mild, damp, warm, stable, highly, often.
Ex.3. Fill in the blanks. Use the suitable words from the text:
1. Our main building of the University is … in the very centre of our town.
2. The strong wind often … in our region in autumn.
3. Not all people like … life, they often look for adventures.
4. Her mood is very … . She is sad in the morning and is singing joyfully in the evening.
5. His freedom is now … because he often infringes … and orders.
6. Our work at the English text … reading, translation and retelling.
7. There are several kingdoms in Europe where a … or a … is at the head.
Ex.4. Read the following dialogue and invert your own:
-You see, I’m a bit confused. I thought Britain, Great Britain and the British Isles mean the same. Am I right?
- Well, in everyday speech Britain, Great Britain and the British Isles are used to mean the same country, but it is not quite correct.
- Can you explain why Britain is called Great Britain?
- In fact, it is only one of about 5500 British Isles. It is the biggest one. That is why it’s called Great, because of its size.
- I see. Does it also mean the United Kingdom, then?
- No, it consists only of the country’s three parts. The fourth part, Northern Ireland, is on the next largest island – Ireland.
Ex. 5. Use the following phrases and word combinations to retell the text:
1. As I understood from the text...
2. According to the text...
3. According to the author...
4. As it is described in the text...
5. As it is said in the text...
6. As the author puts it...
7. According to the figures (data, information, opinions) from the text...
Ex. 6. Discuss the following statements. Use the following phrases to express your opinion:
1. It seems to me (that)...
2. I would like to say that...
3. As I see it...
4. I think that...
5. I guess...
6. I suppose...
7. I (strongly) believe that...
8. I am (absolutely) sure that...
Statement A: The United Kingdom is a small country. It is one of the leading countries now because it had many rich colonies in the past.
Statement B: UK will loose Northern Ireland soon and Wales and Scotland later, like it lost Hong Kong in 1997, because of the differences in languages, culture and history.
Statement C: British people don't travel much because they live not too far from the sea (ocean).
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-12-15; Нарушение авторского права страницы
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 184.108.40.206 (0.041 с.)