ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
Ex. 2. Write the sentences, choosing one of the modals.
1. We are leaving tonight, so you (should/must) buy a ticket for the flight.
2. (May/Might) I come in?
3. David (can/could) cook well when he wants to.
4. 'Do you think it (can/might) rain?' 'Yes, possibly. We don't want to get wet so I think we (should/must) take our raincoats.'
5. Jenny tried to carry him but she (can't/couldn't).
6. We (can/might) visit my cousin in Australia next year but we don't know yet.
7. In many countries, you (should/must) wear a seat belt in the car - it's the law.
8. (Can/May) you hold this for me, please?
9. I know they enjoy their work but they (shouldn't/'mustn't) work at the weekends. It's not good for them. I think they (should/must) spend time at home with their families.
10. The letter (can/may) arrive tomorrow.
Ex. 3. Complete the sentences with can, could, may, might, should or must in the positive or negative:
1. Richard's only three but he …….. swim very well.
2. You've had that headache for two days. I think you …….. go to the doctor.
3. I don't think we …….. go to the beach because it rains this afternoon.
4. I lived in Germany as a child so I …….. speak German then but I …….. speak it now.
5. You …….. remember to take your passport tomorrow.
6. …….. you close the door, please?
7. We …….. move house next year but we're not sure yet.
8. Passengers …….. smoke when the plane is taking off.
9. I think you …….. play tennis with Sally. She play really well.
10. “Do you think I …….. learn some Portuguese before I go to Brazil?” – “Yes, that would be a good idea.”
11. We …….. remember to pay this bill before the weekend. It’s very important. If we don't, we'll have no electricity.
12. I know you like sugar but you …….. eat quite so much. It's bad for you.
13. I'll be at work on Saturday so I'm afraid I …….. come to the football match with you.
14. I was listening very carefully but I …….. hear what she said.
15. They don't like living in the countryside. I think they …….. move back to the city but they don't agree.
Ex. 4. Circle the correct words to complete the sentences:
1. She (won't/wouldn't) have all these problems if she was more efficient.
2. If it (rains/rained), we'll go by bus.
3. Where (will/would) you live if you could choose?
4. The boss always (gets/got) angry if people are late for work.
5. Mary (can't/'couldn't) speak English when I first met her.
6. You look tired. You (might/should) go to bed.
7. (Must/Can) you close the door, please?
8. I think it (can/may) rain tomorrow.
9. Our car broke down so we (had to/must) take a taxi.
10. You (don't have to/mustn't) tell anyone. It's a secret!
Ex. 5. Supply the modals or their equivalents:
1. There were so many questions he … not answer.
2. … I ask a few minutes private conversation with him?
3. “I am afraid I … be going now”, he said.
4. Her English is very poor, she … study very hard.
5. They … know how to divide their time between studies and rest.
6. I … write my test. It proved to be too difficult.
7. We … not leave class without permission.
8. The students … settle that question at the conference last week.
UNIT 7. LONDON
Read, translate and retell the text:
London is the capital of Great Britain, its political, economic and cultural centre. London is an ancient city. The population of London is about 8 million people. London is one of the biggest cities in the world and the largest city in Europe. It is situated on the banks of the river Thames. London consists of four important sections: the West End, the East End, the City, and Westminster.
The City is a small part of London but it is the financial and the business centre of the country. There are a lot of banks and various offices here. We can also see here one of the greatest English churches – Saint Paul’s Cathedral. Many famous people are buried here.
Not far away is Westminster – the administrative centre of London. The Houses of Parliament are situated here. It is the seat of the British Government. The building is very beautiful with its two towers and a big clock called Big Ben.
Westminster Abbey where kings and queens are crowned is opposite the Houses of Parliament.
The West End is the part of London where the rich people live. Fine houses, wide street, numerous parks are to be found here. The best cinemas, theatres, famous shops, comfortable hotels, large museums are situated here. The most beautiful London park – Hyde Park – is in this district too.
The East End is the poorest part of London. It includes the port, docks. The workers and the unemployed live here.
London is famous for its outstanding places of interest. There are many architectural, art and historic monuments in London such as the British Museum, the Tower of London, the National Gallery, Buckingham Palace and many others.
ADD TO YOUR ACTIVE VOCABULARY:
ancient – древний
population – население
business – деловой, коммерческий
Saint Paul’s Cathedral – Собор Святого Павла
to bury – хоронить
not far away – недалеко
seat – зд. местопребывание
to crown – короновать
tower – башня
district – район
unemployed – безработный
outstanding – выдающийся
Ex. 1. Answer the questions:
1. What is London?
2. What can you say about its population?
3. Where is it situated?
4. How many parts are there in London?
5. What are they?
6. What can we see in the City?
7. Where are the Houses of Parliament situated?
8. Where do the rich people do?
9. What is the most beautiful park?
10. Will you name the famous places of interest in London?
Ex. 2. Take equivalents to the underlined words from the text and write down new sentences:
1. Many spectators were waiting for the well-known actor near the theatre.
2. The high grey modern building is the commercial centre of the oil company.
3. This very old part of Rome is often shown in many feature films.
4. We were greatly impressed by the beautiful sights of Paris.
5. This new arm-chair is very convenient to have a rest in.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-12-15; Нарушение авторского права страницы
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 184.108.40.206 (0.008 с.)