Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
PREPOSITIONS OF PLACE AND MOVEMENT
Test 3. Complete the sentences with in, at or on.
1. Mike lives ___ Oxford. He’s a student ___ Oxford University.
2. Write your name ___ the top of the page.
3. Who is this boy ___ that photo?
4. Meet me ___ the bus stop ___ the end of Regent Street.
5. There is somebody ___ the door. Shall I go and see who it is?
6. You’ll find the sports results ___ the back page of the newspaper.
7. Where are the children playing? They are playing ___ the beach.
8. She lives ___ the ground floor.
9. It can be dangerous when children play ___ the street.
10. I usually buy a newspaper ___ my way to work in the morning.
11. London is ___ the river Thames. I like swimming ___ the river.
12. I was sitting ___ the back of the class.
13. His signature was ___ the back of this photo.
14. I don’t know where my umbrella is. Perhaps I left it ___ the chair.
15. Tom is ill. He wasn’t ___ work today. He was ___ home ___ bed.
16. They live ___ Seal, a small village ___ the road to Vladimir.
17. Let’s meet ___ the entrance to the Supermarket.
18. If you walk to the end of the street, you’ll see a small shop ___ the corner.
19. I wasn’t in when you phoned. I was ___ my sister’s house.
20. The exhibition ___ the Museum of Modern Art finished on Saturday.
Test 4. Complete the sentences with in, at or on.
1. The garden is ___ the back of the house.
2. Write your name ___ the back of this envelope.
3. The bus was full. There were too many people ___ it.
4. Tom is ___ work. He works ___ Cambridge ___ the University.
5. When we were ___ the south we stayed ___ a small hotel ___ the coast.
6. Meet me ___ the entrance to the supermarket ___ Oxford Street.
7. There is a public telephone ___ the corner of the street.
8. I haven’t seen Kate for some time. I last saw her ___ Dave’s wedding.
9. It was a very slow train. It stopped ___ every station.
10. When we were ___ France we stayed ___ a hotel.
11. Nick was waiting ___ the bottom of the stairs.
12. Is Tom ___ this photograph? I can’t find him.
13. She waited for him ___ the bus stop ___ the end of Green Street.
14. There was a knock ___ the door.
15. You’ll find details of TV programmes ___ page seven of the newspaper.
16. There’s nobody living ___ the island. It’s uninhabited.
17. I think her flat is ___ the third floor of that building.
18. It was a lovely day. There wasn’t a cloud ___ the sky.
19. We stopped at a small village ___ the way to London.
20. Brighton is ___ the south coast of England. I like swimming ___ the sea.
Test 5. Complete the sentences with in, at or on.
1. They live ___ Baker Street ___ number 12.
2. Sign your name ___ the dotted line ___ the bottom of the page.
3. I saw a taxi ___ the end of the street.
4. Is there anything interesting ___ the paper today?
5. I waited ___ the door for five minutes.
6. There’s an unusual photograph ___ the back page.
7. Don’t sit ___ the grass.
8. My office is ___ the first floor. It’s ___ the left as you come out of the lift.
9. I love to look up ___ the stars ___ the sky at night.
10. ___ my way home I met Nick. He was standing ___ the corner and waiting for somebody.
11. What time did you arrive ___ the hotel?
12. I was standing ___ the back, so I couldn’t see very well.
13. I was sitting ___ the back of the car when we crashed.
14. Have you ever worked ___ a farm?
15. I hate staying ___ home. That’s why I’ve applied for a job ___ the United Nations ___ Geneva.
16. San Francisco is ___ the west coast of the United States.
17. I didn’t see you ___ the party on Saturday. Where were you?
18. (in a restaurant) ‘Where shall we sit?’ ‘Over there, ___ the corner.’
19. I was ___ Ann’s house last night. The rooms ___ her house are very small.
20. We went to the theatre last night. We had seats ___ the front row.
Test 6. Read the text and fill the gaps with a preposition from the list below. There may be several possibilities.
Mary’s Day Out
The sun rose ___ (1) Mary’s house. It was a beautiful day. Mary came ___ (2) her front door and went ___ (3) the path, ___ (4) the gate and ___ (5) the street. She crossed ___ (6) the road and walked ___ (7) the bus stop. The bus arrived and she got ___ (8) the bus. It went ___ (9) the corner, ___ (10) the High Street, ___ (11) all the shops and ___ (12) the countryside. It stopped ___ (13) the duck pond ___ (14) the next village, and Mary got ___ (15). She climbed ___ (16) a stile and started walking ___ (17) a big field. Suddenly, she saw a huge bull running ___ (18) her! She raced ___ (19) the far side of the field and squeezed ___ (20) the hedge. Out of breath, she sat down ___ (21) the grass ___ (22) the river. She leant back ___ (23) a rock. The sun was warm. Mary closed her eyes and listened to the water flowing ___ (24). Soon she was fast asleep. When she awoke, the sun had disappeared ___ (25) the horizon.
10.3. VERBS WITH PREPOSITIONS
Test 7. Fill in the correct prepositions to, about, at, from, for, in, into, on, with.
1. I want to talk ___ the group ___ their exams.
2. All last winter he suffered ___ coughs and colds.
3. When will you write ___ Bill ___ your plans?
4. If you don’t understand any of these words, you could refer ___ a dictionary.
5. The accident sadly resulted ___ the death of a man.
6. The police are appealing ___ witnesses to come forward.
7. It wasn’t his car, in fact I don’t know who it belongs ___.
8. Nurses are very badly paid, I think they should insist ___ higher rates of pay.
9. The poor driver. I really sympathize ___ him, it wasn’t his fault.
10. The buses are often late, so you can’t depend ___ them.
11. Do you qualify ___ a state pension when you are 55?
12. Keep enough money to pay ___ your ticket.
13. Have you heard ___ what had happened ___ him? Oh, I don’t care ___ it.
14. I said ___ you I was thinking ___ going to America. I actually dreamt ___ it.
15. She listened ___ me and then told me ___ her problems.
16. The bus ran ___ the wall of a house.
17. People started to shout ___ the driver.
18. Who was the boy you were all laughing ___?
19. I saw somebody staring ___ me from the other side of the road.
20. He was always arguing ___ his brother.
Test 8. Fill in the correct prepositions to, about, from, in, into, on, with, for.
1. I bumped ___ an old friend of mine the other day.
2. I agree ___ you that we should wait a bit longer ___ her.
3. She never apologizes ___ arriving late.
4. I thought we should look ___ someone else to do the job.
5. If you want to travel, that would be a good job to apply ___.
6. The land belongs ___ a rich man.
7. She then referred ___ the Minister’s report.
8. I congratulate her ___ her success in the exams.
9. The boss disagreed ___ me.
10. The match resulted ___ a draw.
11. His failure resulted ___ lack of attention to details.
12. Tonight I’m going to talk ___ my favourite books.
13. You can count ___ me.
14. You can rely ___ him to be polite.
15. They complained ___ me about the noise.
16. Mary turned her head to speak ___ him.
17. The daughters sided ___ their mothers.
18. Can I speak ___ Jane, please?
19. Can you explain this word ___ me?
20. Can you explain ___ me what you mean?
Test 9. Fill in the correct prepositions to, about, at, from, for, in, of, with.
1. He told me his name but I can’t think ___ it now.
2. This house reminds me ___ the one I lived in when I was a child.
3. We called the doctor because Nick was complaining ___ a pain in his stomach.
4. That’s a good idea. Why didn’t I think ___ that?
5. Look at this photograph of Ann. Who does she remind you ___?
6. She left Boston ___ Paris when she was 19.
7. If something is wrong, why don’t you do anything ___ it?
8. Peter likes his job but he doesn’t talk ___ it much.
9. I like to listen ___ the radio while I’m having breakfast.
10. Please don’t shout ___ me!
11. How often do you borrow books ___ the library?
12. Yes, you are right. I agree ___ you.
13. Cheers! Let’s drink ___ your success.
14. My brother is living ___ a French girl.
15. My children are looking forward ___ Christmas.
16. They arrived ___ the party at 8 p.m.
17. What time did you arrive ___ London?
18. I must introduce you ___ my cousin.
19. Something has happened ___ him.
20. Shall we ring ___ a taxi?
10.4. ADJECTIVES WITH PREPOSITIONS
Test 10. Fill in the correct prepositions of, to, with, at, about, for.
1. He was afraid ___ his enemies.
2. I’ve always been terribly fond ___ you.
3. He is unaccustomed ___ the heat.
4. They may feel jealous ___ your success.
5. I was terrified ___ her.
6. That was clever ___ you.
7. I turned the job down, which was stupid ___ me.
8. My problems are very similar ___ yours.
9. He was dedicated ___ his job.
10. I could never be bored ___ football.
11. He was very pleased ___ her.
12. He was shocked ___ the hatred they had shown.
13. She has always been bad ___ languages.
14. It’s difficult ___ young people to live on their own.
15. It was unusual ___ them to go away at the weekend.
16. It was rude ___ him to leave so suddenly.
17. She was rude ___ him for no reason.
18. She was still angry ___ the results.
19. They’re getting pretty fed up ___ him.
20. If you continue to support someone who is in trouble you are loyal ___ them.
Test 11. Fill in the correct prepositions of, to, with, at, about, for, from.
1. If two things are almost the same, one is similar ___ the other.
2. Someone who is a fine athlete is good ___ games.
3. I was proud ___ my brother.
4. I’m very surprised ___ you. I can’t understand the way you behave.
5. Life is very different ___ what it used to be.
6. Who is responsible ___ this mess?
7. I’m delighted ___ the result. It’s exactly what I wanted.
8. In the army, a sergeant is senior ___ a corporal.
9. If two houses are exactly the same, one is identical ___ the other.
10. If something makes you very unhappy, you are very upset ___ it.
11. If someone makes you very angry, you are furious ___ them.
12. If you feel that you do not trust someone, you are suspicious ___ them.
13. If you treat someone very well, you are being kind ___ them.
14. If you have agreed to marry someone, you are engaged ___ him/her.
15. Everyone was very critical ___ the way he behaved.
16. We were very happy ___ the way they treated us.
17. I was very displeased ___ the way they looked.
18. I feel sorry ___ Nick. He has a lot of problems.
19. I’m sorry ___ the noise last night. We were having a party.
20. That was not very polite ___ you.
10.5. MIXED PREPOSITIONS
Test 12. Fill in the gaps below.
Originally I worked ___ (1) a school teacher, but I applied ___ (2) a grant to study medicine ___ (3) university and was accepted. I specialized ___ (4) mental disorders and then started my present job. I believe completely ___ (5) what I am doing, I never take any time ___ (6) work, and I am totally committed ___ (7) my clients. I have ___ (8) listen carefully to what they say, and sometimes explain ___ (9) them what I think the problem is. Sometimes they start to depend ___ (10) me too much. What is my job? Oh, I forgot to tell you. I am a psychiatrist.
Test 13. Read the letter below and add the preposition which best fits each space.
Dear Mrs Jones,
I am writing ___ (1) reply to your advertisement ___ (2) secretaries to work ___ (3) your central offices. I have already heard ___ (4) you from a friend of mine, Jenny Mansfield, who worked ___ (5) you a few years ago ___ (6) the sales department. I would be interested ___ (7) applying ___ (8) a full-time post. I am quite experienced ___ (9) secretarial work, and would have little difficulty ___ (10) the duties the current job involves. I think I’m quite skilled ___ (11) wordprocessing. I also have wide experience ___ (12) handling members of the public.
I enclose a reference ___ (13) my previous employer and copies ___ (14) my certificates. I would be happy to come for an interview at any time which is convenient for you.
I look forward ___ (15) hearing from you.
Test 14. Read the text below and add the preposition which best fits each space.
Living a Long Time
It is often said that Japanese people, ___ (1) average, live much longer than Europeans. ___ (2) a large extent this must be due to the food most Japanese people eat since from the point of view of life-style, life ___ (3) modern Japan is no less stressful than ours ___ (4) the west. The Japanese live ___ (5) a diet largely made up ___ (6) fish and rice. ___ (7) lunch-time a typical Japanese family will consume ___ (8) least twice as many vegetables as we do in Europe. ___ (9) comparison with Europeans, the Japanese eat far less meat and fewer potatoes; ___ (10) the same time, they eat seven times more fresh fish than we do which makes their diet much healthier ___ (11) far. It would be fair to say that, ___ (12) general, the Japanese – frequent visitors ___ (13) Europe ___ (14) business or ___ (15) pleasure – are discovering the pleasures and dangers of western-style eating habits.
Test 15. Fill in the gaps in the following letter.
I’m having problems ___ (1) my studies at school. I find it difficult to get down to work in the evenings and I can’t concentrate ___ (2) anything at the moment. I spend most of my time listening ___ (3) records or watching TV instead ___ (4) doing my homework. The other students in my class are much better than I am and I have difficulty ___ (5) keeping up with them. I sometimes have problems ___ (6) following the lessons as well. I can’t always take ___ (7) the important things my teacher says because I write so slowly. She has told me that I’m falling ___ (8) with my studies. I’m not good ___ (9) writing essays and I usually hand ___ (10) my homework late because I put ___ (11) doing it until the last minute. So I often have to invent silly excuses to explain why I haven’t done the work. I’m sure I’m not going to get ___ (12) my final exams in June. I’m now so far ___ (13) that I don’t know how I’m going to catch up ___ (14) them. My teacher spent some time going ___ (15) my homework with me but she found so many mistakes that I felt even more depressed. What do you suggest I do?
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 184.108.40.206 (0.047 с.)