Заглавная страница Избранные статьи Случайная статья Познавательные статьи Новые добавления Обратная связь
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
Disadvantages of Globalization
Globalization has given rise to more health risks and presents new threats and challenges for epidemics.
People lose their culture moving into and out of a country and they may adapt to the culture of the resident country.
Social change demonstrates a world-wide decay of value systems: family structures, caring for the aged, role of women in the society.
It is said that the rich are getting richer while the poor are getting poorer. Globalization is not able to reduce poverty. It leads to the accumulation of wealth and power in the hands of a few developed economies. Therefore the gap between the elite and the underprivileged seems to be a never ending road, leading to inequality. Watershed is in unfair distribution of national wealth. Inequality is in social injustice.
The industrial revolution has changed the outlook of the economy. Industries are using natural resources by means of mining, drilling, etc. which puts a burden on the environment. Natural resources are reducing. Deforestation is practiced. This in turn creates an imbalance in the environment leading to climate change and natural calamities.
Globalization has opened new avenues like wider markets and employment. There is still a disparity between the developed and the developing countries. Developed countries move their factories to developing countries where labor is cheap. The developing country generates fewer revenues, and a developed country has major share of the profits.
Every economy wants to be at the top spot and be the leader. The developed countries want to be the supreme power. It has given rise to terrorism and other forms of violence. Such acts cause economic and human losses.
Monopoly is a situation wherein only one seller has a say in a particular product or products. It is possible that when a product is the leader in its field, the company may begin to exploit the consumers. The leader takes full advantage of the sale of its product, which may later lead to illegal and unethical practices.
So, we may say that globalization is undermining the old certainties in lots of ways: 1) employment is less secure; 2) communities are less rooted; 3) there is a wide gap between the rich and the poor, skilled and unskilled, young and old; 4) immigration is sharp; 5) terrorism is a problem; 6) health issues are not settled; 7) environment is not protected; 8) social problems are far from being a success.
What should be done to solve the global problems?
1) go essentially global; 2) attract foreign direct investment; 3) raise productivity as the biggest single component of competitiveness; 4) solve education and skilled problems including creativity and problem-solving skills; 5) earn more money to have choice over where to live and what to do; 6) mobilize citizens for joint actions to protect environment; 7) organize preventive health care; 8) take measures against isolation and marginalization of elderly persons; 9) develop intense competition.
In the current scenario, the key to international success is global marketing that is to market globally. Global marketing informs the customer about the existence and benefits of a product in the market and gives the product its identity.
Task 3. Memorize the key terms, concepts, expressions and their meaning.
Task 4. Answer the following questions, solve the problems, do the tasks.
1. What is globalization?
2. What are advantages of globalization?
3. Is capital the backbone of every economy?
4. What kind of holidays is popular with visitors to your country?
5. Has tourism influenced the town / country where you live?
6. What new kinds of tourism are rapidly developing nowadays?
7. What are disadvantages of globalization?
8. Is national wealth distributed equally? Where is the watershed?
9. Do you agree that today we have environment degradation?
10. There is nothing with multiculturalism. The problem is terrorism. Is it so?
11. What old certainties does globalization undermine?
12. What should be done to solve the global problems?
13. What should be done to modernize the country?
14. What knowledge, skills, values and attitudes characterize global citizens?
15. What knowledge and skills are required for accessing decent work?
Task 5. Write sentences of your own about these trends in:
1) job market in your country; 2) education; 3) transport; 4) holidays and travel; 5) people’s health; 6) technology; 7) the media; 8) lost of culture; 9) social change (use is becoming; is rapidly developing; are gradually becoming; is increasing; is improving; longer and longer; more and more people; increasingly; slowly; quickly)
Task 6. Think and explain.
You are going to create a “time capsule”, not to be opened before the year 2150, to help future generations understand life at the beginning of the 21st century. Think about which of these things you want to represent / include, and the main ideas that you want to get
across: *culture and environment * food and drink * fashion / drink * politics and important events * technology and media * everyday objects that may no linger exist * interesting documents *, etc.
Think about how to explain why you have chosen those things. In small groups, discuss and explain your ideas.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-12-10; Нарушение авторского права страницы
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 18.104.22.168 (0.006 с.)