Заглавная страница Избранные статьи Случайная статья Познавательные статьи Новые добавления Обратная связь
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
Task 19. Match the famous personalities and the states they refer to and give a brief description of their life.
1. Jack London a) New Jersey
2. Franklin D. Roosevelt b) Georgia
3 Walt Disney c) Massachusetts
4. Frank Sinatra d) California
5. Martin Luther King e) New York
6. Alexander Graham Bell f) Michigan
7. Henry Ford g) Louisiana
8. Louis Armstrong h) Missouri
Task 20. Do the test.
1. What is the financial center of London?
A: the West End B: the City
C: East End D: Westminster
2. The London Underground is more commonly known as the:
A: tube B: subway
C: route D: trial version
3. Do you know that most underground systems all over the world use the London tube map designed by:
A: Harry Brown B: Harry Smith
C: Harry Beck D: Harry Eton
4. Everybody knows the fast food from the big burger companies, but what other name do we give it?
A: trash food B: garbage food
C: rubbish food D: junk food
5. In British English it’s a pavement. In American English it is a:
A: side line B: side street
C: side walk D: side alley
6. The largest department store in Europe is:
A: Harrods B: Max and Spencer
C: GUM D: Liniya
7. Skilled manual are called ___ workers.
A: blue – collar B: white – collar
C: red – collar D: black – collar
8. People who are engaged in non – manual work are called ___.
A: blue – collar B: white – collar
C: red – collar D: black – collar
9. The old lady of Threadneedle Street is the nickname of the .
A: Bank of England B: Bank of Scotland
C: Bank of Wales D: Bank of Ireland
10. People from all over the world come and adopt the American culture as their own, that’s why the United States is called a _____ .
A: boiling pot B: melting pot
C: selling pot D: buying pot
11. What is London’s business airport for international traffic?
A: Gatwick B: London
C: Heathrow D: Ramsgate
12. What does Statue of Liberty hold in its hand?
A: flag B: torch
C: banner D: lantern
13. What is the present currency in Great Britain?
A: pound …………..B: dollar
C: shilling……………D: dinar
14. Americans celebrate Independence Day on _______ .
A: July, 4 …………B: June, 4
C: July, 5……………D: June, 5
15. Massachusetts was nicknamed _____ .
A: the Border State B: the Ocean State
C: the Pilgrim State D: the Eldorado State
UNIT 8. GLOBAL PROBLEMS OF MANKIND. INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES OF THE 21ST CENTURY
(Глобальные проблемы человечества. Информационные технологии XXI века)
You can bring your horse to the water,
but you cannot make it drink.
Objective: to discuss global problems of mankind and exchange information about high-tech technologies in 21st century
– to speak about the global problems of mankind;
– to read about advantages and disadvantages of globalization;
– to ask and answer questions about globalization;
– to exchange information on the Net Generation, Unplugged;
– to talk about world international organizations;
– to write essays and do the test.
Task 1. Discussion: Answer the following questions.
1) What does globalization mean to you?
2) Do you watch foreign films and TV programs?
3) Do you listen to music from around the world?
4) Do you buy international brands like Nike or Adidas?
5) Do you eat food imported from across the world?
6) Do you go shopping in a neighbouring (neighboring) country?
7) Do you eat in international fast food chains (in different ethnic restaurants)?
8) Do you use English as a lingua franca to communicate with other non-native speakers?
9) Do people travel abroad to work and study?
10) Do people work for Multinational Corporation with people from different countries?
11) What can you say about global problems of mankind and how to solve them?
12) What vision of life in the 21st century do you have?
13) Did digital technologies give rise to a new generation of students?
Text 1. Going Global
Task 2. Read and translate the text. Comment on new words and expressions.
Globalization is the process of global economic, political and cultural integration and unification. The process of globalization is a consequence of the evolution of market systems. As a result of globalization, the world becomes more connected and more depended on all its subjects. Globalization pulls the countries out into the competitive world. New collaborations and unity have changed the world into a global village. Globalization integrates trade, technology, investments, and the mobile factors of production like labor and capital. All types of goods are all available in every market globally due to globalization.
Globalization is quite a debatable subject. Some say that globalization has a lot of ill-effects upon the society, others feel exactly the opposite. Globalization has made life extremely easier and comfortable. However it has affected the consumers and businesses differently. For a better picture, let us take a look at some of the advantages and disadvantages of globalization.
Advantages of Globalization
Globalization has led to numerous employment opportunities. Companies are moving towards the developing countries to acquire labor force. The migration of people, which has become easier, has led to better jobs opportunities.
Globalization promotes the spread of education. Numerous educational institutions around the globe offer better opportunities to study elsewhere. Students integrate with different cultures, meet with people and learn from various people, and it is all due to globalization.
International trade has given rise to intense competition in the markets. Some countries practice free trade with minimal restrictions on EXIM (export-import) policies. This is beneficial to businesses. There is unlimited number of available commodities with different prices. The product quality is the target to retain the customers. “Customer is the King” and he can dictate the terms of producing and affordable pricing the product.
Capital, the backbone of every economy, is of prime importance for the proper functioning of the economy. Today, transferring money through banks is possible just by the click of a button, all due to the electronic transfer that has made life very comfortable. Many huge firms are investing in the developing countries by setting up industrial units outside their home country. This leads to Foreign Direct Investment, which helps in promoting economic growth in the host country.
Information technology and communication are of vital importance in bringing the countries closer. Information is easily accessible from almost every corner of the world. Circulation of information can happen in seconds. The Internet significantly affects the global economy, providing direct access to information and products.
Transportation, distribution, supply chain, and logistics are extremely efficient nowadays because the products to a customer located at any part of the world can be conveniently delivered.
Gross Domestic Product, commonly known as GDP, is the money value of the final goods and services produced within the domestic territory of the country during an accounting year. GDP increases as the market widens, the scope and demand for a product increase.
The changing face of tourism is connected with globalization. New kinds of tourism are rapidly developing: eco-tourism; rural tourism; yoga retreat; bird-watching; horse-riding; archaeology; Italian cookery; survival; camel-trekking; staying with bushmen in desert; water-color painting.
Последнее изменение этой страницы: 2016-12-10; Нарушение авторского права страницы
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 22.214.171.124 (0.005 с.)