Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
THE SYSTEM OF RED AND GREEN CHANNELS
EFFECTIVE PASSENGER AND BAGGAGE CONTROL
Task 1. Read and translate the text.
The dual-channel system was introduced at international airports to deal efficiently with the increasing number of passengers without reducing the effectiveness of the Customs control.
The system allows the passengers to choose between two types of channels:
- if the passenger is carrying nothing more than the allowances; no prohibited or restricted goods; no goods for commercial purposes, he may go through the Green Channel indicated by the words “Nothing to declare”;
- if the passenger is carrying more than the allowances; some prohibited or restricted goods, or some goods for commercial purposes he must go through the Red Channel indicated by the words “Goods to declare”.
In the European Union (EU) there is also a Blue Channel for travelers from European Union countries. As the EU is a customs union, travelers between EU countries don’t have to pay customs duties. The USA and Canada do not operate the dual-channel system.
Passengers should be well-informed about the functioning of the system i.e. about the descriptions and quantities of the goods that they may have with them when using the Green Channel. This can be done by means of posters and panels at the airport or leaflets, distributed through tourist agencies or airlines.
Passengers who go through the Red Channel complete customs formalities: they fill in the customs declaration form, present their baggage for inspection, pay the duties and taxes chargeable.
In the Green Channel passengers do not complete customs formalities, but they may be the subject of a spot check that customs officers exercise to prevent violations.
During practical examination the customs officer should link the passenger to his baggage and reasons for travel.
To facilitate the search customs officers should use tools and technologies at their disposal. Checking baggage for concealments customs officers should be careful to minimize the damage.
At all times customs officers must act with diplomacy, and be competent, firm and fair.
Working on the text
Task 2. a) Mark the stress in the Russian words and compare it with the English words. Tick the pairs of words with different stressed syllables.
b) Read the English words again.
Task 3.Fill in one or two letters in each word:
Task 4. a) Match left and right to make word combinations:
to introduce the channel
to distribute the system
to choose leaflets
to inform the search
to use formalities
to complete documents
to facilitate passengers
to pay technology
to minimize the duty
to check damage
b) Use the word combinations in the sentences of your own.
Task 5. a) Give the Russian equivalents of the following expressions:
b) Explain the meaning of the underlined expressions.
- the dual-channel system;
- without reducing the effectiveness;
- the system allows the passengers;
- “Nothing to declare”;
- “Goods to declare”;
- the functioning of the system;
- descriptions and quantities of the goods;
- drug production areas;
- to act with diplomacy;
- by means of posters and leaflets;
- tools and technologies at the disposal;
- the subject of a spot check;
- to facilitate the search
Task 6. Find in the text the English equivalents of the following:
система двойного канала; возрастающее количество пассажиров; запрещенные и ограниченные товары; товары для коммерческих целей; обозначить словами; с помощью плакатов и листовок; распространять через туристические агентства; выполнять формальности; проводить выборочные проверки; цель поездки; технические средства; ущерб
Task 7.Put P if the action refers to the passenger, put C if the action refers to the customs officer. Translate the word combinations.
- to work efficiently __C__
- to choose the channel __ P__
- to carry goods across the border _____
- to search for concealments _____
- to complete formalities _____
- to establish the dual-channel system _____
- to facilitate the search _____
- to be the subject of a spot check _____
- to exercise spot checks _____
- to unpack, open and repack personal belongings _____
- to break regulations _____
- to use tools _____
- to pay the duties _____
- to minimize damage _____
Task 8. Answer the questions:
1. Where is the dual-channel system introduced?
2. Why is the dual-channel system used?
3. Who can go through the Green Channel?
4. Who must go through the Red Channel?
5. How are the channels indicated?
6. What should passengers be informed about?
7. What can be done to inform the passengers?
8. What do passengers in the Red Channel do to pass through customs control?
9. Do passengers in the Green Channel complete formalities?
10. Why do customs officers exercise spot checks?
11. What is most important during practical examination?
12. What can facilitate the search?
Task 9.Complete the sentences:
1. The dual channel system was introduced because . . .
2. They will go through the Green Channel because . . .
3. I must go through the Red Channel because . . .
4. This is the leaflet which will inform you about . . .
5. To inform the passengers about the functioning of the system we should . . .
6. In the Red Channel passengers have to . . .
7. In the Green Channel customs officers can . . .
8. Customs officers exercise spot checks to …
9. Checking passengers and their luggage customs officers should . . .
10. Customs officers use tools and technologies to . . .
11. He is a good customs officer because . . .
Task 10.Put the actions in the correct order for the arriving passengers.
1. In the baggage hall there are several carousels and monitors above them showing your flight number.
2. After you have passed through passport control, follow the signs to the baggage hall.
3. At passport control there are two counters: one for citizens of the country, the other for non-citizens. The immigration officer will check your visa and passport and put a stamp in it.
4. After customs control look for the exit. If someone is meeting you they will be waiting in the arrival lounge.
5. Collect your luggage and look for the sign “customs”. In most countries the signs are red for “Goods to declare” and green for “Nothing to declare”.
6. As soon as you leave the plane, follow the signs to passport control.
7. At international airports these signs are usually in English as well as the local language.
Task 11. Translate the sentences from Russian into English:
1. Вы уже внедрили систему двойных каналов в вашем аэропорту?
2. Количество пассажиров, путешествующих за границу, постоянно возрастает.
3. Новые технологии помогают повысить эффективность таможенного досмотра.
4. Если вы не везете товары сверх установленных норм, вам не придется выполнять таможенные формальности.
5. Когда пассажиры везут товары для коммерческих целей, они декларируют их и платят пошлину.
6. Наше туристическое агентство всегда информирует туристов о наименованиях и количестве товаров, которые можно провозить беспошлинно.
7. Во время проведения выборочной проверки таможенники останавливают пассажиров в зеленом канале и просят предъявить багаж для досмотра.
8. Инспектор проверил паспорт и билет пассажира и спросил о цели его поездки.
9. Чтобы облегчить процедуру досмотра и обнаружения сокрытых товаров, таможенники применяют различные приспособления и технические средства, имеющиеся в их распоряжении.
10. При выезде за границу вы обязаны сообщить об имеющейся у вас при
себе валюте и предъявить её для досмотра.
11. Пассажир не знал, что в его багаже имеются предметы, подлежащие
12. Меня проинформировали о том, сколько багажа можно бесплатно провозить через границу, когда я покупал билет на самолёт.
Task 12.a) Read and translate the text.
EFFECTIVE PASSENGER AND BAGGAGE CONTROL
In dealing with any passenger, customs officers-in-charge should:
ESTABLISH REASONS FOR TRAVEL
Examine passport to ascertain previous and current journeys to drug production and suspect areas. If the passenger is a frequent traveler establish reasons for frequency of travel. Examine ticket to ascertain method of payment. Remember: late booked or cash tickets are often used by smugglers.
CHECK THAT THE PASSENGER HAS CORRECT
BAGGAGE CLAIM TAGS AND ASK THE BASIC QUESTIONS
- Is this all your baggage? Did you pack it yourself?
- Do you know what the baggage contains?
- Are you carrying any items for anyone else? Are you travelling alone?
- Do you know what the Customs allowances are?
EXERCISE PRACTICAL EXAMINATION
For passengers travelling on business: examine any documents in order to verify whether the passenger is engaged in legitimate business. Make sure that documents relate to up-to-date transactions.
For visitors or residents returning from holiday: look for gifts, clothing, souvenirs and the usual items you would normally expect to find with this type of passengers. These will link passengers to the baggage and reasons for travel. (Be suspicious of passengers arriving with only light baggage containing few, if any, articles of personal nature.)
For all passengers: always check baggage for concealments. Don’t overlook the commonplace. Carry out a Personal Search in case suspicion still exists.
The examination of baggage can be separated into two clearly defined
areas: the contents and the container.
Remove the contents carefully and systematically. Examine individual items as necessary during the process. Separate any items worthy of closer attention and place them out of the passenger’s reach. To facilitate the examination you should make full use of the equipment at your disposal. When using tools to examine the contents, exercise care to minimize damage.
POINTS TO REMEMBER
- Adopt a positive approach. You must believe that if there are goods concealed, you will find them.
- You are a representative of this department in the public eye. At all times act with courtesy and diplomacy.
- Do not be drawn into arguments. Stay calm however provoked.
- Do not hesitate to seek assistance or advice from colleagues.
b) Make a glossary. Choose seven words to remember.
Task 13.Look through the texts of the unit and write down what a customs officer:
Task 14. Answer the questions:
1. What is the most important thing in dealing with a passenger?
2. Why do customs officers examine a passenger’s passport and ticket?
3. What questions are supposed to be asked by the customs officer and why?
4. How can a passenger prove that he is engaged in legitimate business?
5. Why do passengers with light baggage make customs officers suspect them?
6. What should customs officers remember while searching the contents of a passenger’s baggage?
Vocabulary and Grammar
Task 15. a) Find words in the text formed from the following verbs and translate them into Russian:
b) Complete the sentences with the words from the box. You may have to use some words more than once:
1. The sale of alcohol is __________ to people over the age of 18.
2. The report is devoted to the problem of drug abuse and other _________ issues.
3. Please, keep me fully __________ of the details of the investigation.
4. Smoking is strictly __________ on board the plane.
5. The Lists of __________ and __________ articles are __________ at the airport.
6. The hallmark of the gold ring wasn’t __________ in the declaration form.
7. The amount of __________ narcotics is constantly growing.
8. You should go through the channel __________ by the words “Goods to declare”.
9. The passport __________ by the traveler proved to be false.
10. Specially trained dogs were first used by the Customs to detect __________ coffee.
11. Border patrol searched the truck and discovered a gun __________ under the driver’s seat.
Task 16.Read and translate the text.
Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones was returning to London from a trip to the States. Just before he left, a friend in another band asked him to deliver a package to his wife. Naively, Wyman tossed it into his suitcase. At Heathrow, specially trained dogs surveyed the incoming luggage, got to Wyman’s bag and went absolutely wild. The Customs pounced. Realizing that he had been set up, Wyman tried to explain that a friend had given him a package and that he honestly didn’t have any idea what was in it. “Sure,” the officer said.”We’ve heard that one before.” They gleefully seized the offending contraband, ripped it open, and discovered six bags of epicurean dog food.
b) Make up 10 questions of all types to the text;
c) Give the gist of the story.
Task 17. Put the verbs in brackets in the correct Active or Passive form.
1. The first Russian Customs Statute (to hand) down in 1667.
2. A distinction (to make) between commercial and industrial free zones.
3. The passenger’s luggage (to check) by the customs officer now.
4. Quantitative restrictions or other forms of import control (to adopt) in many countries.
5. More detector dogs (to train) at the canine enforcement centers by the next year.
6. After unloading the cargo (to store) at the bonded warehouse awaiting release from customs control.
7. The General Agreement on Tariff and Trade (to sign) in Geneva in 1947.
8. Brokers (to require) to maintain strict confidence about business and transaction.
9. An interesting case (to investigate) by the customs investigation union now.
Task 18. a) Read and translate the story.
Sam Lewis was a customs officer. He used to work in a small border town. The road was usually very quiet and there were not many travelers. It was not a very interesting job, but Sam liked an easy life.
About once a week he used to meet an old man. His name was Draper. He always used to arrive at the border early in the morning in a big truck. The truck was always empty. After a while Sam became suspicious. He often used to search the truck, but never found anything. One day he asked Draper about his job. Draper laughed and said: ”I am a smuggler”.
Last year Sam retired. He spent his savings on an expensive holiday. He flew to Bermuda, and stayed in a luxury hotel. One day he was sitting by the pool and saw Draper drinking champagne. Sam walked over to him.
Sam: Hello, there!
Sam: Remember me?
Draper: Yes … Of course, I do. You are a customs officer.
Sam: I used to be, but I’m not anymore. I retired last month. I often
used to search your truck…
Draper: …but you never found anything!
Sam: No, I didn’t. Can I ask you something?
Draper: Of course you can.
Sam: Were you a smuggler?
Draper: Sure I was.
Sam: But … the truck was always empty. What were you smuggling?
b) Put the dialogue into Reported speech.
c) Study the model. Find examples in the text above. Make five sentences speaking about the past and the present.
Model: Customs officers used to wear blue uniform, but now it is green.
In the past customs officersdidn’t use to screen the baggage.
Task 19.a) Unscramble these words.
SERIEECDN - _______________
ZIIIHCEPTSN - _______________
b) Use all three words to make a sentence of your own.
Task 20. a) Make a written translation of the text and think about the title for it.
Belgian Customs anti-drugs team based at Brussels Airport seized 180 ivory statues in the luggage carried by a male passenger arriving from Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo).
Alerted by the weight of the luggage that was declared as containing wooden craft, the team stopped the passenger and started checking his luggage. The wooden statue appeared to be of very crude craftsmanship and it was decided to X-ray it. The X-ray revealed that the statue contained hundreds of small ivory statues.
The passenger declared that he was not aware of deception and that he was transporting the wooden statue for a friend who lived in Belgium. While checking the name of the alleged recipient, the team discovered that this person used the same method to smuggle ivory products in the past and was currently being prosecuted for smuggling ivory products.
Task 21.Make a written translation of the text into English.
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 126.96.36.199 (0.026 с.)