Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ТОП 10 на сайтеПриготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Техника нижней прямой подачи мяча.
Франко-прусская война (причины и последствия)
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Смысловое и механическое запоминание, их место и роль в усвоении знаний
Коммуникативные барьеры и пути их преодоления
Обработка изделий медицинского назначения многократного применения
Образцы текста публицистического стиля
Четыре типа изменения баланса
Задачи с ответами для Всероссийской олимпиады по праву
Мы поможем в написании ваших работ!
ЗНАЕТЕ ЛИ ВЫ?
Влияние общества на человека
Приготовление дезинфицирующих растворов различной концентрации
Практические работы по географии для 6 класса
Организация работы процедурного кабинета
Изменения в неживой природе осенью
Уборка процедурного кабинета
Сольфеджио. Все правила по сольфеджио
Балочные системы. Определение реакций опор и моментов защемления
PRE-FLIGHT FORMALITIES AT THE AIRPORT
Task 1.Read and translate the text.
The passenger should arrive at the airport two hours before the take off time.First, he has to check-in for the flight at the check-in-counter. He shows his passport and ticketto the airline agent and puts his suitcases on the scales. If the passenger’s baggage exceeds Free Baggage Allowance, he has to pay for the excess. The passenger hands over his baggage and gets his baggage claim receipts and a boarding pass with the seat number written on it. The suitcases are labeled and sent off to be loaded into the hold of an airplane.
Next, the passenger goes through the security check where his carry-on luggage is screened.
Passing through the Customs control the passenger can choose between the Red and Green Channels. The passenger who goes through the Red Channel fills in the declaration form and states prohibited, restricted and dutiable articles that he is carrying. He presents his declaration form to the customs officer. The customs officer looks it through and asks questions about the contents of the passenger’s baggage. The passenger puts personal belongings into the X-ray machine and steps through metal-detector. The passenger must unpackand open his baggage and present any item for inspection, if necessary. If a personexceeds Duty and Tax Free Allowance (the fixed quota) he/she will have to pay the duty for the excess. If everything is alright, the customs officer stamps the declaration form and gives it back to the passenger.
After that, the passenger must pass through passport control and present his passportand visa to border guards.
Then he goes to the departure lounge to wait for his flight call. While waiting, the passenger can visit the Duty-Free Shop which sells spirits, tobacco, perfume and gifts.
Finally, the passenger goes through the flight gates and boardsthe plane.
Working on the text
Task 2. How many international words can you find in the text?
a) 5 b) 10 c) 15 d) 20 e) 25 f) 30
Task 3.a) Mark the stress in the Russian words and compare it with the English words. Tick the pairs of words with different stressed syllables.
cigarette BrE сигарета
cigarette AmE сигарета
b) Read the English words again.
Task 4.Find in the text the English equivalents of the following;
приехать в аэропорт; зарегистрироваться на рейс; ручная кладь; излишек багажа; посадочный талон; стойка регистрации; время вылета; багажные квитанции; объявление о посадке; сдать багаж; магазин беспошлинной торговли; выход на посадку; содержимое багажа; норма беспошлинного провоза багажа; поставить штамп; запрещенные, ограниченные, облагаемые пошлиной товары
Task 5. Complete the table with the words from the text.
Task 6. Look through the text and find synonyms to the following words:
- to show
- to come
- to control
- a present
- to mark
- to return
- to register
- to declare
Task 7.Look through the text and find antonyms to the following words:
- to answer
- out of
- to buy
- to pack
- to leave
- duty free
- arrival lounge
Task 8. Make as many word combinations as possible with the following verbs and translate them:
a) to present ___________
b) to go through __________
c) to put __________
d) to get __________
e) to fill in __________
f) to state __________
g) to pay ___________
h) to check __________
Task 9. a) Insert preposition, if necessary.
b) Explain the meaning of the expressions in italics.
- to arrive _____ the airport
- to check _____ _____ the flight
- to visit _____Duty Free Shop
- to put the baggage _____ the scales
- to put the baggage _____ the X-ray machine
- to pay _____ the excess luggage
- to stamp _____the declaration form
- to pass _____ customs control
- to answer _____ questions
- to choose _____ the Red and Green Channels
- to fill _____ the declaration form
- to present luggage _____ inspection
- to wait _____ the flight call
- to board _____ the plane
Task 10. Find the verbs describing the passenger’s actions and put them in the chronological order.
- ARRIVES at the airport;
- CHECKS IN for the flight;
. . . . . . . . . . . .
- BOARDS the plane.
Task 11. Answer the questions:
1. When should the passengers arrive at the airport?
2. What do the passengers do after they have arrived at the airport?
3. What documents do the passengers get at the check-in counter?
4. What must passengers do if they go through the Red Channel?
5. What do passengers state in the declaration form?
6. How do customs officers control passengers and their baggage?
7. What are the passenger’s responsibilities during customs inspection?
8. In what case do passengers have to pay the duty?
9. Do passengers complete any other formalities after customs control?
10. What do passengers do at the departure lounge?
11. What does the duty Free Shop sell?
12. Where do passengers go when they hear the flight call?
Task 12. Translate the sentences from Russian into English:
1. Мы приехали в аэропорт за три часа до вылета, и у нас было достаточно времени, чтобы выполнить все формальности.
2. Я бы хотел зарегистрироваться на рейс AS 2705 до Лондона.
3. Пассажир был удивлен, когда узнал, что его багаж превысил норму бесплатного провоза, и ему необходимо заплатить за излишек.
4. Подожди, я не могу найти посадочный талон и багажные квитанции. Наверное, я забыла их на стойке регистрации.
5. Если вы не везете запрещенные, ограниченные к ввозу/вывозу или облагаемые пошлиной товары, можете пройти через зеленый канал.
6. Когда пассажир заполнил декларацию и предъявил ее таможеннику, офицер задал ему несколько вопросов о содержимом багажа.
7. После того, как я поставил свою ручную кладь в рентген-аппарат, таможенник попросил меня распаковать ее и предъявить для досмотра мою видеокамеру.
8. Какие документы вы предъявляли, когда проходили через паспортный контроль?
9. Как долго вы ждали приглашения на посадку?
10. Каждый раз, когда я еду за границу, я посещаю магазин беспошлинной торговли и покупаю там сувениры для друзей.
11. Пора садиться в самолет. Какой номер нашего выхода на посадку?
Task 13.a) Read and translate the text.
A modern airport has three main types of facilities. One is for passengers, one for airplanes on the ground, and one for planes that are taking off or landing.
The busiest and perhaps the most interesting airport building is the terminal building. People make flight reservations and buy tickets at ticket counters. Flight information boards, which can be television screens or electronic signs, display information about arriving and departing flights.
After the passenger service agents take passenger’s baggage, it moves on a conveyor belt to the baggage make-up room. There, the luggage for each flight is sorted and placed in containers or on carts to be loaded on the proper airplane.
Modern airport terminals resemble shopping malls. They have waiting lounges, restaurants, snack bars, gift shops, newsstands, game rooms, bookstores, boutiques, banks and even hotels.
Besides, amenities include Left Baggage Counter, Lost and Found, the Nursery, Public Health and toilet facilities.
Among the facilities for airplanes on the ground are loading bridges connected to the terminal building, maintenance shops, in-flight food kitchens and a fueling system. Workers clean the cabin, put food and pump drinking water aboard. There is a special airline’s operation area in the terminal building where the crew examines weather reports and determines the fastest and safest route for each flight.
Facilities that serve airplanes during take off and landing include runways, taxiways, parking ramps, and air traffic control tower. Traffic controllers in the tower regulate air traffic at and near the airport. Radar and approach lights assist planes in taking off and landing.
b) Make a glossary. Choose seven words to remember.
c) Speak about 1) the amenities for passengers;
2) the facilities for planes;
3) the people who work at the airport.
Vocabulary and Grammar
Task 14.Complete the sentences with the correct form of these phrasal verbs.
1) They arrived at the airport late and saw their plane ____________.
2) When you ____________ your flight you ____________ your baggage except carry-on luggage.
3) When I ____________ security check I had to ____________ the metal detector.
4) I ____________ the declaration form and presented it to the customs officer.
5) He ____________ working in shifts at the passenger control until he ____________ to the investigation department.
6) The customs official asked me a few questions about the contents of my baggage, stamped the declaration form and ______ it ______ to me.
Task 15. Find the word that doesn’t fit the group and explain why. See Conversational Formulas.
1) arrive – leave – come – reach – approach
2) passport – ticket – receipt – boarding pass – seat number
3) flight attendant – customs officer – policeman – border guard
4) plane – train – bus –bike – taxi
5) gift – souvenir – present – bribe
Task 16.Match left and right and translate the sentences:
Task 17.a) Study the table.
b) Translate the text.
The problem of drug abuse is an international one. It destroys individuals and communities. There are two very important elements in the fight against drugs. One is the reduction of demand and the other is the reduction of supply. It is the reduction of supply which is the aim of law enforcement agencies around the world. One of their principal aims is to encourage international cooperation.
c) What does the word “ONE” refer to in the text?
Task 18.Work with the dictionary to find out the meanings of the words.
duty –1) _______________
It’s our duty to inform the passengers about the changes in the law.
When you bring alcohol or cigarettes above the fixed quotas into a country, you have to pay the duty.
free – 1) _______________
He was found not guilty and walked free from the court.
If something is free from tax, you don’t have to pay tax on it.
stamp –1) _______________
The passenger was taking out a big collection of stamps.
The official put his personal stampon the documents when he accepted it for clearance.
drug –1) _______________
The big drug companies make huge profits.
Parents should talk openly to their children about the dangers of drug abuse.
The team was banned from the Olympics after failing a drug test.
Task 19.Read and complete the text.
TOP AIR TRAVEL TIPS
Safety and security are the top priority for all airlines, and flying is the safest way to travel. Each year the world’s air travelers make 1.5 billion journeys and on average there are only 50 fatal accidents. But there are lots of things which you can do (1) _______ your journey safer and more enjoyable.
Pack your suitcase or rucksack yourself and never offer (2) ______ a packet for someone else.
Make sure you check in early. Most airlines say you (3) ______ to check in at least one hour before a short flight and two hours before intercontinental flights. However, security checks and baggage X-ray scans can (4) ______ a long time and you don’t want (5)______ your flight, so allow an extra half-hour.
Remember that you (6) ______ have sharp things like scissors or knives in your hand baggage.
On the plane you (7) ______ stay in your seat all the time. It’s good to walk around and stretch your legs.
You (8) ______ wear a seat belt for take-off and landing, but it’s a good idea to keep it on all the time you are in your seat.
You (9) ______ listen carefully to the safety instructions so that if there (10) ______ an accident, you know how to get out of the plane quickly.
Task 20.a)Put the verbs in brackets into the correct Active or Passive form.
The daft musician
Have you ever __________ (wake up) by the sound of music? When a house in Holland __________ (break into) recently, the burglar couldn’t resist playing the piano! Unfortunately for the thief, the owner of the house __________ (disturb) by the music and the police __________ (call) immediately.
Beware of the parrot!
In a recent theft, a bad-tempered parrot (to leave) English police a vital clue. The bird, which __________(name) Mickey, (to disappear) from a pet shop. Later the police (to find) a trail of blood, which (to allow) them to make a DNA match to the suspect. The thief __________ (to identify) because he __________ (to bite) by the parrot.
On Sunday, John Smith’s mobile phone, iPod and video camera __________ (to steal) by thieves who (to drive) away in his car. Mr.Smith (to chase) the thieves who (to crash) his car and (to escape) on foot. Unluckily for the thieves, the video camera was on, and they __________ (to film). They__________ (to identify) easily and by Thursday evening they __________ (to catch).
Three cat burglars __________ (to think) that they __________ (to have) a good idea – to climb down a chimney to get into a clothing store. The trouble __________(to be), the fireplace __________(to brick) up. One of them __________(to get stuck) at the bottom of a 15 feet shaft. The others had to wave from the rooftop until they _________(to catch) the eye of a passing policeman. Firemen __________ (to break down) the fireplace at the store to help the man out.
b) Discuss the following:
1. Which of these criminals do you think was the most stupid?
2. Do you know any other funny stories or jokes about criminals?
Task 21.a) Unscramble these words.
IOSGGBNNLE - _______________
TTEEIRDSCR - _______________
DOIPEHTRBI - _______________
b) Use all three words to make a sentence of your own.
Task 22. Make a written translation of the text and think about the title for it.
The illicit drug trade is truly international, spanning the globe. Drug traffickers are not confined by national boundaries; they transport their goods through many countries and often market their wares in several nations.
To be effective in combating this trade, an individual customs service cannot stand alone. It must work with other agencies, both nationally and internationally to share information and intelligence on all aspects of the drug trade to improve their capability to target suspect passengers or cargo. This includes general information on such topics as the routings, concealment methods and modus operandi as well as more precise information on specific smuggling activities where individuals or organizations are being targeted.
Task 23.Discuss the questions:
1. Why ispassengers’ baggage searched?
2. What questions do customs officers ask passengers before inspecting their baggage and why?
3. What can help customs officers perform their work more efficiently?
Task 24. Get ready to speak on the topic. Use the vocabulary of the unit.
Task 25.Role-play. The students play the roles of passengers who want to fly to some of the following destinations. Choose your destination and then ask for details of your flight: find out when it departs, when you have to check in, when boarding starts and so on.
Isle of Man
One of the students plays the role of a person on duty at the Information desk at Manchester Airport one Friday morning in April. Help the people who enquire about the flights shown on this time-table:
Task 26.Complete the dialogue and reproduce it with your partner.
Agent: - Good morning, sir. Your ticket and your passport, please.
A. - That’s fine. Will you put luggage on the scales, please.
A. - 20 kilos. It’s OK.
A. - They are with you ticket, sir. And this is your boarding pass.
A. - You are welcome and have a good flight.
Task 27.Write down five words that come to your mind when you hear the words “Passenger control”. Compare your list with your partners. Report to the class on the five words you picked and give reasons for your choice.
Task 28. Role play. Group work. One student role plays an airline check-in clerk. The others form a line to check in. The line of people talk among themselves. One is late, another one has six suitcases, another one asks someone to carry a package through for him/her. The teacher assigns countries or cities of destination.
Task 29.Make a list of objects which would not pass a security check. Then role play a security officer and a group of passengers going through a detector. The officer asks questions about the objects, e.g.: “May I see the contents of your pockets?”, “What’s in your bag?” , “ May I see it?”, etc.
infopedia.su Все материалы представленные на сайте исключительно с целью ознакомления читателями и не преследуют коммерческих целей или нарушение авторских прав. Обратная связь - 22.214.171.124 (0.038 с.)